How to Control Mailto Selection in Firefox

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
powrrrplay
Advanced member
Advanced member

How to Control Mailto Selection in Firefox

Post by powrrrplay »

[quote user="inqueue"]FF no longer accepts execution of JS in the URL bar. Here are my steps:
about:config

search for "gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHost" -> double-click to set "true"

Tools -> Web Developer -> Scratchpad

paste: javascript:window.navigator.registerProtocolHandler("mailto",https://yourzimbra.server.com/?view=com ... s","Zimbra");

menu: Execute -> Run

click to allow the addition of Zimbra

Open FF Preferences search "mail"

For the mailto Content Type, select "Zimbra" for the Action

Once complete, set gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHost to "false" with a double-click.[/QUOTE]
I found this post to be very helpful from a very "basic" webmail perspective. I have been playing around with it to make the zimbra web mail more robust and useful when clicking on a mailto url but I am not having any success. There are two mods I hope someone can help me out with.
The first is: When clicking on a mailto url the zimbra app is loaded into the current FF tab. A better business web 2.0 web solution would be to open a new tab for the new email and not leave the original mailto url page. (I hope this makes sense) By opening a new email tab instead of using the current tab the user does not have to remember to click the back browser button to return to their original requesting page. This to me and my clients is quite important.
The second is: An actual enhancement to the first. We have our zimbra settings set to "pop up" a new email message. My point here is, if you are logged into zimbra and you click on a mailto url that a "pop up" new mail message window would appear just like in the same manner if you were inside the zimbra app and clicked a new mail message button. Perhaps I am asking too much of the technology? LoL