How to move around Zimbra without the mouse

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
Mari

Post by Mari »

How do I move around in Zimbra without using the mouse. I see the keyboard shortcuts in Preferences, but even to see the whole list, it seems you need the mouse to scroll down. For example, how do I set times of an appointment in Calendar without using the mouse?

Thank you.
fcash
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fcash »

Unfortunately, there's a lot of places in the web UI that are not navigable with the keyboard. Even tab skips over some fields on some pages.
There are bugs/RFEs in bugzilla to improve this. Search for them (I've posted a couple so search on my name) and vote on them.
odeleon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by odeleon »

have you tried the "Zimbra Assistant" ?
It won't solve everything, but you can get a few things done and it's fairly quick and easy to use with the keyboard. Combined with the keyboard shortcuts you can cover even more.
Where is this assistant?... you simply press the ~ sign and a new window will pop-up with the options to create mail, appointmets, tasks and a few other things, it's almost like using a CLI. You can look in the user guide for more info.
17315GWilliams
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 17315GWilliams »

I would get a mouse... They are really cheap in todays age...
fcash
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fcash »

They're also cumbersome and slow, especially for people who type really fast, know keyboard shortcuts by heart, and don't want to remove their hands from the keyboard. :)
Just because a computer has a mouse attached to it doesn't mean it should be the primary/main/only form of input and control.
Mari

Post by Mari »

Hi Freddie, Thanks for your reply.
I'm actually using the desktop version.
What's a bugzilla, where do I find it and how do I vote?!

Thanks,

Mari
[quote user="fcash"]Unfortunately, there's a lot of places in the web UI that are not navigable with the keyboard. Even tab skips over some fields on some pages.
There are bugs/RFEs in bugzilla to improve this. Search for them (I've posted a couple so search on my name) and vote on them.[/QUOTE]
Mari

Post by Mari »

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I'm actually using the desktop version. Do you know of anything that works for that?
Thanks,

Mari
[quote user="odeleon"]have you tried the "Zimbra Assistant" ?
It won't solve everything, but you can get a few things done and it's fairly quick and easy to use with the keyboard. Combined with the keyboard shortcuts you can cover even more.
Where is this assistant?... you simply press the ~ sign and a new window will pop-up with the options to create mail, appointmets, tasks and a few other things, it's almost like using a CLI. You can look in the user guide for more info.[/QUOTE]
fcash
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fcash »

Sorry, didn't see which forum this was posted in. :)
My bugs are for keyboard navigation throughout the Zimbra web UI. Which would trickle down (I believe) into the Desktop since it's based on code from the Zimbra web UI.
Bugzilla Main Page - Zimbra
Mari

Post by Mari »

I tried searching on keyboard shortcuts as the End User Guide for the Zimbra Desktop at Zimbra Desktop suggests, but everything there seems to be about the web-based application and not the desktop. I'm interested in this software, but so far I'm not too convinced that it's very practical... :(