Zimbra & iOS, Exchange: "Unable to Move Message"

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
css1323

Postby css1323 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:26 pm

Several users in the company want Zimbra emails to come through on iPhone, and use Outlook. On iOS, they set up email using Exchange method. When Outlook is used, emails get removed from Zimbra side once synced up, helps so quota doesn't get reached. This also helps with saving a permanent copy on Outlook side locally in PST. (If there's a more sensible way, I'm open for another solution)

It was working ok up until now. When new message comes in, you can see it in iOS, but when Outlook syncs mail, it removes it from Zimbra side, but it sticks around on iOS Mail app. If you try to delete the message it gives the error:

Unable to Move Message

The message could not be moved to the mailbox Trash.

In other words, Mail app doesn't refresh properly, so you end up with new emails just piling up. I've tried readding the Exchange way, turning account off and on as well. Could look into IMAP or POP perhaps, but it's a pain for users using Exchange way along with Outlook on PC. Not sure why it broke.

Zimbra version: 8.5.1, iOS version: 8.1

bobby
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Postby bobby » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:17 pm

This makes me think that Outlook is connecting with POP3: "when Outlook syncs mail, it removes it from Zimbra side"; is that correct? If not, is it Outlook on Mac or Windows?
css1323

Postby css1323 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:05 pm

POP3, correct. Outlook on Windows 7 Professional.
css1323

Postby css1323 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:15 pm

As an update, we've upgraded to 8.6 recently. Still having issues with syncing emails using MS Exchange on iPhone. Anyone else out there having issues? I'm beginning to doubt my own logic and wonder if I've got this whole thing down incorrectly, i.e. it's not meant to work in this fashion.
dlbewley
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby dlbewley » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:34 pm

I have it this issue on 8.5.0 and 8.6.0. It is intermittent, but persistent.

Clients who use IMAP with Mail.app (not yet tested with exchange EWS) and who use the Zimbra Web Client, find that messages which have been deleted (thus moved to Trash) by the IMAP clients are still visible in the inbox of iOS Exchange clients. When you attempt to delete the message on the iOS client you experience the Unable to Move Message error.

This bug https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=94984 looked to match the issue, but it's listed as fixed in the release notes https://files.zimbra.com/website/docs/8.6/ZCS_860_NE_ReleaseNotes_UpgradeInst.pdf on p6. Anyone find a current bug for this already filed?

I was going to try using `zmprov addAccountLogger` and see if there might be a clue in the sync.log, but I don't relish the thought.

I just tested again on 8.5.0. With my iPhone showing my inbox, I deleted messages in ZWC. They immediately vanish from the iPhone right before my eyes, as expected. Perfect. Perhaps this sync fail only manifests when the phone is in a deep sleep or otherwise offline?

I also tested the other way. I deleted messages on my iPhone and the ZWC interface didn't change. After hitting the refresh icon in the top right the messages fade to indicate that they are read (on 8.6.0 they faded immediately), but if you click on them the body is just not there. The display pane is empty. But this is also inconsistent. I tested again...

Pull down to refresh the iOS client then immediately read and delete a message. Go to ZWC and click the refresh icon, and the message disappeared from the inbox as expected. However, the messages from the test I performed previously are still in the ZWC inbox with no bodies. Deleting them in ZWC does not produce an error.
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.0.9.GA.6191.UBUNTU12.64 FOSS

Postby ccelis5215 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:29 pm

Hi css1323, read this [View:https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/i_am_unable_to_move_messages_to_the_trash_on_my_ipad_iphone_when_using_open_xchange_why:940:0]

ccelis

dlbewley
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby dlbewley » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:33 pm

In the known issues section of the ZCS 8.6.0 release notes, I noticed the following bug about IMAP expunged emails orphaned on activesync clients.

- https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=96166
dlbewley
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby dlbewley » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:46 pm

ccelis, That article is for iOS clients using IMAP. You aren't given an option to pick the folder. You can only set "Move discarded messages into:" to either "Deleted Mailbox" or "Archive Mailbox" with no visibility into where that folder is. I imagine those are just well defined tokens in active sync protocol.
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.0.9.GA.6191.UBUNTU12.64 FOSS

Postby ccelis5215 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:16 am

You are right, it's for IMAP.

Thanks.

ccelis
dlbewley
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby dlbewley » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:43 pm

I confirmed this issue exists on Android 5 as well. Delete an email using an IMAP client and the message remains in the Android inbox.

This makes Exchange/Activesync basically unusable which makes MDM unattainable. :(

Return to “General Questions”