Need help. right click "new contact group" disabled?

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
z000
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by z000 »

Ok, so I signed up with this company called mindcentric.  First thing to note is they are lagging behind greatly. They are still using 8.0.6, so I don't know if that is the problem.  Their customer support is downright awful and I could never get any answers from them.  Ultimately they put the blame on zimbra.  So I am here to find out the truth.   Despite still being on 8.0.6, everything was ok I guess until I went to create a new contact group.  Previously(with another company) I could EASILY right click on some contacts and create a new contact group. Simple as that.
However, with this company, basically that option is now missing.  here is a screenshot of what I am referring to: (this is what mine looks like) vs (what I was previous used to)
Even more strange is that despite this feature being "missing" I can still access and make contact groups via the left tab as seen here
The problem with that is trying to make a new contact group via the left-hand tab is downright frustrating. For example I have over 300 contacts divided between 5 folders in my address book. Using the left tab to make a new contact group basically dumps every single contact into a bucket and forces me to go through one by one to figure out which folder they were originally in.  So basically in the past, where it would take me all of 5 seconds to make a new contact group by right clicking on some, it takes me 1000 times longer.
Can anyone give me some clues about what the heck is going on?  :(
This company has done nothing to help but tried to upsell me in order to regain this missing feature, blaming zimbra for the missing functionality.
cdamon
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by cdamon »

I'm not sure offhand why that action is not in the contact list's right-click menu. Looking quickly at the source I have for 8.0.*, that action is still there, as well as in our later versions 8.5 and 8.6. It seems unlikely that your provider would have customized the code to remove that action. I'm not sure what to say, other than it's a mystery to me as well at this point.
z000
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by z000 »

Well they are claiming it is a restriction of their license or something. This is supposedly a "zimbra gold partner" for 9 years http://mindcentric.com/zimbra-products/compare/ but I have my doubts.
z000
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by z000 »

here is more info to illustrate how annoying this is, since for whatever reason right click functionality is disabled (but I am not totally locked out from making a new contact group).

#1. I have 6 different folders with many different types of contacts http://i.imgur.com/foNzv4O.jpg

#2. Lets say I want to email my shaklee contacts via a new contact group. So I go to my shaklee folder, select some contacts from there then click on the top left tap to create new contact group http://i.imgur.com/8XuKUZ8.jpg

for this example, I have selected exactly one contact.

#3. Serious issue happens. Basically, zimbra is not giving me the contact(s) I have highlighted, but instead have has dumped every single contact from all 6 different folders I have made. But as you notice, it is actually listing the location in the top right corner as being my shaklee folder which obviously isn't the case, since the very first contact on that list being shown is from a contact in a folder called misc. http://i.imgur.com/P3g9glY.jpg

So basically what would take me all of 5 seconds (by using the very simple right click new contact group) instead will take me a much, much longer time because I have to manually sort through all 6 folders worth of contacts, which is basically an impossible task of memorization.

Is this normal behavior from the zimbra software? I honestly don't have a clue, since up until I switched to this company I was happily using the right click new contact group function.
z000
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by z000 »

anyone have any other insight? this is still an ongoing problem :(
cdamon
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by cdamon »

Our current and recent versions have that option. You could check the code by going to this URL under your email server

/js/zimbraMail/abook/controller/ZmContactListController.js

In there you should find this function:

ZmContactListController.prototype._getActionMenuOps =

function() {

var list = this._participantOps();

list.push(ZmOperation.SEP,

ZmOperation.CONTACTGROUP_MENU,

That last line is what causes the "New Contact Group" action to show up in the menu.
z000
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by z000 »

thanks for the help. unfortunately this company (mindcentric) is either incompetent of lying. After i copied and pasted what you typed above they replied with this "This is out the scope of service we provide with a basic plan. We simply set the services per the licensing specification provided by Zimbra."

and they then proceeded to try to upsell me to a higher cost plan.
cayaraa
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS 8 NE & ZCS 8 FOSS

Post by cayaraa »

This is something you should be able to see as long as you can auth to the web client. After loggin in add the rest of the url that cdamon listed above.
Edit: oops...don't even have to be logged in.
z000
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by z000 »

not sure what you mean auth to web client. Do you mean the webmail or zimbra admin console?
cayaraa
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS 8 NE & ZCS 8 FOSS

Post by cayaraa »

Maybe you missed my edit on the last post. You don't need to be logged into anything. For instance: https://hostname.domain.com/zimbra/js/z ... troller.js