Zimbra Desktop synchronization blocked by antivirus

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
sirio81
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra Desktop synchronization blocked by antivirus

Post by sirio81 »

Hi all, some antivirus filter web traffic.
As of now I have problem syncing the e-mail because avast web protection blocks it.
If I turn off avast web protection, synchronization works fine.

I'm trying anyway to exclude only what I need to keep the protection active.
I added
http://webmail.mydomain.com
https://webmail.mydomain.com
to avast exclusions but it's not enough.

What do you suggest?
Do you also encounter synchronization problem caused by the antivirus?
edilsonbigaton

Re: Zimbra Desktop synchronization blocked by antivirus

Post by edilsonbigaton »

Hi,

I have a same problem and I have reason to believe that the problem is in the lasts update of Zimbra, for the reasons I describe below.

I´m a Avast user and have 11 email accounts in my Thunderbird email client.

All my email accounts have always worked with SSL and Avast until weeks ago.

Weeks ago I realized that only one of my email accounts stopped synchronizing, exactly the only one whose server uses Zimbra. All the others, that the servers do not use the Zimbra, are working perfectly. With SSL/STARTLS and Avast.

I contacted Avast and they advised me to uninstall the software (with its own application) and then install it. I did this and the problem continued.

Stopping the Avast email module, the problem is circumvented (POP3 and SMTP), but I do not think it is a viable solution, since the emails would be traveling without encryption over the internet. While maintaining the Avast email module and changing the account to not operate with SSL / STARTLS, the POP3 connection works, but SMTP does not.

If the problem was specifically with Avast, all my other 10 email accounts would be faulting, which is not the case.

If it is not something specific with the Zimbra server, it is certainly some communication failure between it and the Avast email / SSL proxy module. I believe it is with Zimbra, because everything worked perfectly just a few weeks ago, when it completely stopped working. And remember, only with my only account that is hosted on a server that uses Zimbra. If it were Avast, the other email accounts set up in my Thunderbird would also be having a problem, correct? But it's not the case.

Perhaps the problem is something related to the Avast SSL proxy in conjunction with the encryption certificate (or something related) issued by the server that uses Zimbra.

The only way I managed to work around the problem was to disable the Avast email module, but this is not an acceptable solution for anyone using the Windows operating system. So I stopped using the problematic email account and I'm advising the administrators of that server to migrate to a more stable solution such as Exim or another email server that does not show such instability unless Zimbra corrects that error in time.

Best regards,
Edilson
PriteshGajjar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by PriteshGajjar »

Can you try suggestion given at viewtopic.php?t=51846
edilsonbigaton

Post by edilsonbigaton »

I think I posted my question on the wrong topic. I have not installed or used the Zimbra desktop.

As you can see from my previous post, I access an email account and it uses an email server which, as far as I can tell, is a Zimbra mail server, which is in conflict with Avast (this location on my desktop ).

Sorry if I posted in the wrong place. Can anybody help me?
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

edilsonbigaton wrote:I think I posted my question on the wrong topic. I have not installed or used the Zimbra desktop.

As you can see from my previous post, I access an email account and it uses an email server which, as far as I can tell, is a Zimbra mail server, which is in conflict with Avast (this location on my desktop ).

Sorry if I posted in the wrong place. Can anybody help me?
Next time probably best to have started a separate thread. "Zimbra Desktop" is a standalone offline-capable email client software -- not unlike Thunderbird.

We can help configure Thunderbird to access Zimbra, but really if you have a problem between Avast and Thunderbird, that's beyond the typical scope of what we can help with here. :-)

All the best,
Mark
edilsonbigaton

Post by edilsonbigaton »

First of all, thank you to everyone for the availability, patience and helpfulness.

But my problem is not between Thunderbird and Avast, nor between Thunderbird and the Zimbra mail server. In fact, the problem is not mine either. The problem is between the Zimbra mail server and Avast.

If it were between Thunderbird and Avast, my 10 other email accounts would not work (other email servers that are not Zimbra). If it were between Thunderbird and the Zimbra mail server, it would not work with the Avast email module turned off. So the only logical alternative is that the problem is between the Zimbra mail server and Avast.

Sorry, I am new to the forum and the topic I found most similar to my problem was this one, but I only realized that it was Zimbra Desktop after the first response I received (I don´t use it, but I like to contribute with all community). Whoever opened the topic described a problem very much like what I experienced.

To not throw our time and energy away, taking advantage of the topic, is the problem not between issuing encryption certificate used by Zimbra (since the reported problem also seems to occur with Zimbra Desktop) and recognition of it by Avast?
edilsonbigaton

Post by edilsonbigaton »

Continuing...

Note that the problem may not be specifically between the Zimbra mail server and Avast:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=61923

It may be something specific with the encryption certificate used by the Zimbra mail server or the Zimbra products (by the other messages currently being checked in this forum), causing problem at the moment of client authentication with Zimbra.