Zimbra Desktop 7.3.1 won't start

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
rrreinig

Zimbra Desktop 7.3.1 won't start

Post by rrreinig »

I am running Zimbra Desktop on a Windows 10 PC.
I have successfully used version 7.3.0 for some time but after upgrading to 7.3.1, I get a message box saying "Initializing, please wait..." when I try to start the program and it never starts.
I ran "Repair" from the installer but the problem didn't change. I even tried restoring my system to the time before upgrading but I get an "unspecified error" and restore fails.
I tried reloading version 7.3.0 but a got a message indicating that I cannot load a previous version of Zimbra Desktop.
If I select "Remove" using the installer, will I lose my settings and email? I'm thinking that I might be able to reinstall 7.3.0 after removing Desktop completely.

I currently have no working email program on my PC (other than Windows Mail, which I don't like) and I go directly to Gmail and Yahoo for my emails.

Thanks
PriteshGajjar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: Zimbra Desktop 7.3.1 won't start

Post by PriteshGajjar »

You can uninstall ZD 7.3.0 from control panel(don't delete anything from AppData folder) and install 7.3.1. It will keep your data as it is.
rrreinig

Post by rrreinig »

Thanks for your help.
I removed 7.3.1 using control panel and then successfully installed 7.3.0 but I still get the same message "Initializing, please wait..." and Desktop won't start.
I looked at the zdrun.vbs file and I can see where the message is being generated but I'm not familiar enough with vbs to determine what the script is looking for.

If someone could point me in the right direction maybe I could troubleshoot further.

Thanks
rrreinig

Post by rrreinig »

OK, I was able to fix the issue with Win 10 System Restore not working, see: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 544631adb6

However, after restoring the system to the configuration before upgrading to 7.3.1, I still get the same problem when I try to start Zimbra Desktop.
I get a message box saying "Initializing, please wait..." which disappears after a few seconds but Zimbra Desktop never comes up.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
rrreinig

Post by rrreinig »

Here are the log file contents from C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\log

0 INFO [main] log - Logging to org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerAdapter(org.mortbay.log) via org.mortbay.log.Slf4jLog
548 INFO [main] log - jetty-6.1.22.z6
1799 INFO [main] log - No Transaction manager found - if your webapp requires one, please configure one.
4131 INFO [main] security - keystore not present
Found SQLite NativeDb from Windows/amd64
SQLite library version: 3.7.5
oldDbVersion=65 newDbVersion=65
oldOfflineDbVersion=5 newOfflineDbVersion=5

Thanks
PriteshGajjar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by PriteshGajjar »

Do you launch.log file there?
rrreinig

Post by rrreinig »

The only file at this location is zdesktop.out. The contents are what I listed.
rrreinig

Post by rrreinig »

There is a file named launch.log at location C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Zimbra\ZIMBRA~1.tmp.1502025063\log
Here are the contents:
ZD is launched and searching for Java on your system
JRE is found
Java version is : 1.8
Value of JavaHome from regsitry is C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_141
Location of jvm.dll is C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_141\bin\server\jvm.dll