SMTP error in windows 64 bit version of Zimbra desktop

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
consultus

SMTP error in windows 64 bit version of Zimbra desktop

Post by consultus »

SMTP error in windows 64 version of Zimbra desktop. Using windows 7.

Could not add account using imap despite entering correct details as per email download instructions in webmail. Kept reporting smtp error.
With same instructions I could download and send email with ease from thunderbird and then claws email client. (Thunderbirds major updates at least twice did not have backward compatability and could not read existing email. Reconfiguring did not work, so want to move. Claws I cannot access and work with messages offline. Hence moved to zimbra).

From this I can send and receive gmail mails easily. I can access webmail online easily. But from personal IMAP or POP both did not work.

So I reported to server host (a2hosting)- they wrote back to try with the actual host/server (I am not sure what is the term) details and not web domain linked instruction details that I see in smtp and imap). And said for smtp to try smtp SSL port 465. Failing which use no ssl port 2525 in smtp. But even then in both combination did not work.

When I left the entire smtp section blank, only filling in imap incoming details for receiving - I could download all emails. SMTP still does not work.

I will continue to use zimbra since I can send receive other emails and download from own website. but it is a nuisance to go online each time have to send an email. Any advice welcome though perhaps no one handles its coding changes and i know nothing of coding.
Best,
SG