[SOLVED] Zimbra Desktop opens off-screen

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
kbulgrien

[SOLVED] Zimbra Desktop opens off-screen

Post by kbulgrien »

My issue symptoms mirrored viewtopic.php?t=52312 but its solution did not help.

I normally use a two-monitor setup where one monitor is 1600x900 and a second is 1920x1200.
It is using an Intel Driver but the system happens to have an nVidia mobile chipset also (Dell
Inspiron laptop). Anyway, the other day I had to move where I was working and I didn't bother
to move the 1920x1200 monitor, and used a 1920x1080 monitor instead. Upon moving back
to my normal work area, and after re-connecting this monitor, Zimbra Desktop refused to show
itself unless I maximized the screen. This is an up-to-date Windows 10 64-bit system and the
client is Zimbra Desktop 7.3.1 GA (build 13063).

Normally, in situations like this I would Shift-RightClick over the status bar icon and the select
move to drag the window to a visible area, but this was not at all effective.

I also tried the trick of changing screen resolutions, but this was not effective either.

What eventually worked was to maximize the window and then grab the title bar and attempt
to move the Window to another monitor. Once I did this, the window exited full-screen and
resized itself to a smaller footprint. From that point on, closing the application and
re-opening it left the non-maximized window where it was last used.

Perhaps there was a different virtual desktop space no longer in use that was associated with
the other monitor, and that Zimbra Desktop was trying to use it, but the system did not
consider it valid (or something like that) and did not allow manipulating the windows
while it was there. I did search the registry for "Zimbra", but could not find anything that
looked like a set of coordinates for the Window. I suppose since it uses a browser under the
hood that there is a disk-based configuration that comes into play, but I found my solution
before finding it.

Sadly, this trick does not solve a situation where "Compose" opens the new e-mail with the
Window title bar off screen. This has been ongoing for over a year. I have to grab the
Window frame and resize it, which magically causes the window to re-position so the
title bar is on-screen.
bpothier

Re: [SOLVED] Zimbra Desktop opens off-screen

Post by bpothier »

For "most" windows, you can use the "ancient" Windows shortcut ALT-SPACE to access the window control menu.
Then 'M'ove (press 'm') and then press any arrow key to put the window into "Move" mode, you can then use the mouse to move it as normal.
You can also activate 'S'ize mode similarly...
B