Duplicate emails appearing in Inbox

If Zimbra Desktop had a sync failure, it may have told you to post your error in this section.
ukturtle
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by ukturtle »

Hi
I hope I'm not duplicating a thread here but I've searched for ages and can't find anything related.
I'm running Zimbra Desktop 2 on Ubuntu 10.10. I'm connected to my Gmail account using IMAP.
Many of my emails are duplicated. You know how it groups the emails into 'conversations' with a little arrow beside them so you can drop it down and see all the emails in a conversation. Well with mine, most of the ones people have sent to me (and I haven't necessarily replied to) have 2 copies of the same email with the same date and everything identical.
I'm also connected to the same Gmail account from my Android HTC Desire but I wouldn't have thought that should make any difference.
I've tried doing the reset thing on the Account and it's all resynced again but still the same.
Any ideas please folks?
dywang
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by dywang »

Is there an Inbox-1 folder ? any difference between the tree structure in zd and your gmail web client ?
ukturtle
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by ukturtle »

Thanks for the quick reply. There is not an Inbox-1 folder and there isn't any difference in the tree structure between ZD and Gmail.
I've uploaded an attachment with a screenshot of my folders in ZD.
ZDScreenshot.jpg
dywang
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by dywang »

This might be caused by an already fixed bug, https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=55366

ZD 7.0 beta is available now, maybe you can try it to see if this problem is still there. thanks.
ukturtle
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by ukturtle »

Again, excellent response time, thank you.
I'm downloading the ZD 7.0 Beta1 now. Can I install it along side ZD 2 or do I need to uninstall ZD 2 first?
**UPDATE** - I've answered answered the last question myself. I've installed into a different directory and it's all up and running now. Looks like it might have fixed my problem. Inbox is still syncing but it's looking good so far. Love the new interface too. Subtly different but nice.
**** UPDATE 2 **** - I shouldn't have spoken so soon!! It's doing it again! I'm getting duplicates again now! I'll attach a screenshot again to show. This is becoming a nightmare. Any other ideas please?
ZD7DuplicateEmailsScreenshot.jpg
ukturtle
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by ukturtle »

Another update!
I wondered if it was anything to do with Gmail's relatively new 'Priority Inbox' feature so I went to my Gmail settings and changed it to not display the Priority Inbox. Then I deleted my Gmail account in ZD7b1, deleted the logs and added the account again.
The duplicates have appeared again.
There is 1 error I get ever time ZD syncs with Gmail when running tail -f on the zdesktop.log file the following error scrolls up:
2011-03-04 12:13:51,705 INFO [sync-mbox-brynjellis@gmail.com] [] datasource - Remote folder '[Google Mail]/All Mail': syncing remote folder [Google Mail]/All Mail

2011-03-04 12:13:51,842 INFO [sync-mbox-brynjellis@gmail.com] [] datasource - Remote folder '[Google Mail]': Error in STATUS command

com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.CommandFailedException: STATUS failed: Invalid folder: [Google Mail] (Failure)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapRequest.failed(ImapRequest.java:210)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapRequest.failed(ImapRequest.java:206)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapRequest.checkStatus(ImapRequest.java:126)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapRequest.sendCheckStatus(ImapRequest.java:112)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.imap.ImapConnection.status(ImapConnection.java:277)

at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.RemoteFolder.status(RemoteFolder.java:197)

at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapFolderSync.createLocalFolder(ImapFolderSync.java:538)

at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapFolderSync.syncFolder(ImapFolderSync.java:126)

at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapSync.syncRemoteFolders(ImapSync.java:269)

at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapSync.syncFolders(ImapSync.java:236)

at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapSync.importData(ImapSync.java:163)

at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.imap.ImapSync.importData(ImapSync.java:135)

at com.zimbra.cs.offline.OfflineImport.importData(OfflineImport.java:94)

at com.zimbra.cs.offline.GMailImport.importData(GMailImport.java:53)

at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.DataSourceManager.importData(DataSourceManager.java:312)

at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.DataSourceManager.importData(DataSourceManager.java:276)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DataSourceMailbox.syncAllLocalDataSources(DataSourceMailbox.java:441)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DataSourceMailbox.sync(DataSourceMailbox.java:471)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DataSourceMailbox.syncOnTimer(DataSourceMailbox.java:408)

at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.SyncMailbox$1.run(SyncMailbox.java:278)

at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)

at java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)

2011-03-04 12:13:51,843 INFO [sync-mbox-brynjellis@gmail.com] [] datasource - Remote folder '[Gmail]/Sent Mail': syncing remote folder [Gmail]/Sent Mail

I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not but I'm desperate and clutching at straws now.
ukturtle
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by ukturtle »

I think it might have something to do with the 'Conversation' view!
If I change the view to 'By Message' I can see only one of each email.
As soon as I change it back to 'By Conversation' I get the duplicates.
Am I missing something here or is this a bug? Surely I can't be the only person getting this problem.
dywang
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by dywang »

thanks for finding a workaround. I think I saw this once for a gmail account, but not every time. will keep an eye on it. thanks
17416jflanigan
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 17416jflanigan »

If you are using labels in Gmail you may be encountering this bug:
Bug 26334 - offline: label in gmail should be displayed as a tag in ZDesktop instead of as a folder
Basically, Gmail's IMAP implementation sends a distinct copy of the message for each label. We've had some discussion about de-duplicating but it's not currently scheduled.
thorx
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by thorx »

[quote user="ukturtle"]I think it might have something to do with the 'Conversation' view!
If I change the view to 'By Message' I can see only one of each email.
As soon as I change it back to 'By Conversation' I get the duplicates.
Am I missing something here or is this a bug? Surely I can't be the only person getting this problem.[/QUOTE]
Looks like zimbra employees misunderstand. The problem you have looks like what I'm seeing here.

In conversion view you will see what you send and receive in one thread. That means if you send a message out with a copy to distribution group that you are member of, you will see in the email view that it looks like duplicates.

However it's one message in the sent folder and one message in the inbox.

It's a little annoying because I like the conversion view, however I could wish that only one message is in view if there is one in the inbox and one in the sent folder.
One could do this:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administra ... mails.html
However in outlook with it's type of email view, it's better that the email from for example distribution group is displayed in the inbox.
So in my opinion it would be better if the 'Conversation' view filtered out duplicates in the view.
@Zimbra employee: did you understand the problem better now?