ubuntu 20.04 install zimbra desktop 7.3 failed

Need some help getting Zimbra Desktop set up and working?
chchang

ubuntu 20.04 install zimbra desktop 7.3 failed

Post by chchang »

I just download zimbra desktop from zimbra try to install zimbra desktop

here are my steps

Code: Select all

wget https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.zimbra.com/downloads/zdesktop/7.3.1/b13063/zdesktop_7_3_1_ga_b13063_20170628044421_linux_x64.tgz

tar zxvf zdesktop_7_3_1_ga_b13063_20170628044421_linux_x64.tgz && mv zdesktop_7_3_1_ga_b13063_linux_x64 zdesktop_7_3_1
cch@dc:~/Downloads$ cd zdesktop_7_3_1/
cch@dc:~/Downloads/zdesktop_7_3_1$ ls
app  install.pl  jetty
cch@dc:~/Downloads/zdesktop_7_3_1$ java -version
java version "17.0.2" 2022-01-18 LTS
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 17.0.2+8-LTS-86)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.0.2+8-LTS-86, mixed mode, sharing)

cch@dc:~/Downloads/zdesktop_7_3_1$ sudo ./install.pl 

Welcome to Zimbra Desktop setup wizard. This will install Zimbra Desktop on your computer.
------------------------------
Press enter to continue: 

PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE SOFTWARE.  SYNACOR INC. WILL ONLY LICENSE THIS SOFTWARE TO YOU IF YOU FIRST ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. BY DOWNLOADING OR INSTALLING THE SOFTWARE, OR USING THE PRODUCT, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THEN DO NOT DOWNLOAD, INSTALL OR USE THE PRODUCT.
License Terms for this Zimbra Desktop Software: http://www.zimbra.com/license/zimbra_public_eula.html

(A)ccept or (D)ecline [A]: A

Zimbra Desktop (64-bit) requires a 64-bit Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE), which is not installed or is outdated. Please install JRE 1.6 (64-bit) or later.
cch@dc:~/Downloads/zdesktop_7_3_1$ 
I don't get it , I did have java JDK/SRE build 17 installed , why can't I install zimbra desktop ?

so I commented out the java version part in install.pl then run the instal.pl again , here is my result

cch@dc:~/Downloads/zdesktop_7_3_1$ sudo ./install.pl 

Welcome to Zimbra Desktop setup wizard. This will install Zimbra Desktop on your computer.
Press enter to continue: 

PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE SOFTWARE.  SYNACOR INC. WILL ONLY LICENSE THIS SOFTWARE TO YOU IF YOU FIRST ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. BY DOWNLOADING OR INSTALLING THE SOFTWARE, OR USING THE PRODUCT, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THEN DO NOT DOWNLOAD, INSTALL OR USE THE PRODUCT.
License Terms for this Zimbra Desktop Software: http://www.zimbra.com/license/zimbra_public_eula.html

(A)ccept or (D)ecline [A]: A

Choose the folder where you would like to install Zimbra Desktop's application files [/opt/zimbra/zdesktop]: 

Installing application files...done

You have finished installing application files.

Would you like to continue to install data files for user: root ?
(Y)es or (N)o [N]: n

To install data files for additional users, please login as the user and run this command:
/opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/user-install.pl

cch@dc:~/Downloads/zdesktop_7_3_1$ /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/user-install.pl
Choose the folder where you would like to install Zimbra Desktop's user data files, full path please [/home/chchang/zdesktop]: 

Choose the folder where you would like to create desktop icon [/home/chchang/Desktop]: 

Installing user data files...done
Initializing user data...done
Creating desktop icon...done
mv: 無法取得 '/home/chchang/zdesktop.tmp/index/*' 的資訊: 沒有此一檔案或目錄
mv: 無法取得 '/home/chchang/zdesktop.tmp/store/*' 的資訊: 沒有此一檔案或目錄
mv: 無法取得 '/home/chchang/zdesktop.tmp/sqlite/*' 的資訊: 沒有此一檔案或目錄
mv: 無法取得 '/home/chchang/zdesktop.tmp/zimlets-deployed/*' 的資訊: 沒有此一檔案或目錄
Zimbra Desktop has been installed successfully for user chchang.

You can start Zimbra Desktop by double-clicking the desktop icon or by running the following command:
"/opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/zdrun.pl"

Press "Enter" to launch Zimbra Desktop; Press "Ctrl-c" to exit: 
/home/chchang/zdesktop/bin/zdesktop: 212: [: Linux: unexpected operator
/home/chchang/zdesktop/bin/zdesktop: 245: [: Illegal number: 
JRE version  is found on your system.
JETTY_HOME     =  /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/jetty
JETTY_RUN      =  /home/chchang/zdesktop/log
JETTY_PID      =  /home/chchang/zdesktop/log/zdesktop.pid
JETTY_CONSOLE  =  /home/chchang/zdesktop/log/zdesktop.out
JETTY_ARGS     =  
CONFIGS        =  /home/chchang/zdesktop/jetty/etc/jetty.xml
JAVA_OPTIONS   =  -client -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xms128m -Xmx1024m -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=20 -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=40 -XX:NewRatio=4 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=70 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -DSTART='/opt/zimbra/zdesktop/jetty/etc/start.config' -Dzimbra.home='/home/chchang/zdesktop' -Dzimbra.config='/home/chchang/zdesktop/conf/localconfig.xml' -Djava.library.path='/opt/zimbra/zdesktop/jetty/../lib' -Djava.awt.headless=true -Djava.io.tmpdir='/home/chchang/zdesktop/data/tmp/java' -Djava.net.useSystemProxies=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=10 -XX:HeapDumpPath='/home/chchang/zdesktop/heapdump/' -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -Djetty.home='/opt/zimbra/zdesktop/jetty'
JAVA           =  /usr/bin/java
Starting Jetty: 
cch@dc:~/Downloads/zdesktop_7_3_1$ Stale pid file removed: /home/chchang/zdesktop/log/zdesktop.pid
nohup: 重定向標準錯誤到標準輸出
Jetty running pid=1153011

cch@dc:~/Downloads/zdesktop_7_3_1$ localconfig.xml zimbra_admin_service_port not updated by jetty !
any suggestion to fix the error ??
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: ubuntu 20.04 install zimbra desktop 7.3 failed

Post by jholder »

Unfortunately, Zimbra Desktop was discontinued several years ago. It used java 1.6 and java has changed much since then. Whlie Java 17 can run it, there are problems with class exports and hashmap functions which have since been deprecated.

It also has several security issues which make it unsafe to run.

The specific error you're getting is either a result of windows line endings or a different bash interpreter. Try using dos2unix on the zdesktop script. If that fails, ensure you're using bash.

If both of those fail, it is probably because technology has advanced beyond zdesktop which has been frozen in time.
chchang

Post by chchang »

jholder wrote:
If both of those fail, it is probably because technology has advanced beyond zdesktop which has been frozen in time.
so , for now , there's no zimbra desktop available in linux ???
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by BradC »

chchang wrote:so , for now , there's no zimbra desktop available in linux ???
There hasn't been for a few years now. I use a separate web browser instance with its own profile for the zimbra web client. That buys me roughly the last 30 days of history if I'm offline. For longer offline spells I just sync mail with Thunderbird using IMAP. Not ideal, but these days it's not that often I need the complete archive available offline.

Something like this : /opt/firefox/firefox --profile ~/.mozilla-zimbra/ --no-remote https://my.server.office

That keeps Zimbra away from my main browser instance and vice versa.
Dejavu_Dmitry

Post by Dejavu_Dmitry »

On my system (Linux Mint 20.3/Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) after installation Zimbra Desktop for user i have been install openjdk-8-jre and libgconf-2-4:

sudo apt install openjdk-8-jre libgconf-2-4
After that I did:

sudo update-alternatives --config java
and chose with the help of corresponding number this variant of jre:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java
then:

sudo mkdir -p /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/node-webkit/swiftshader/
sudo cp /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libEGL.so.1 /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/node-webkit/swiftshader/libEGL.so
sudo cp /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLESv2.so.2 /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/node-webkit/swiftshader/libGLESv2.so
then (thnx to Lourenzo Ferreira) I downloaded: After unpacking of deb-packages I extracted this shared libraries files:

libgtk-3.so.0
libgtk-3.so.0.2200.30
libpango-1.0.so.0
libpango-1.0.so.0.4000.14
libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
libpangocairo-1.0.so.0.4000.14
libpangoft2-1.0.so.0
libpangoft2-1.0.so.0.4000.14 
And put them to /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/:

sudo mv *.so* /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/