Only Installs Under Administrator

Need some help getting Zimbra Desktop set up and working?
solo1959

Post by solo1959 »

I installed Zimbra 1.0.3 1691 twice yesterday on my Windows Vista computer. I was using a Standard (not administrator) account on my computer. In order to run the install, I had to give Windows my Administrator password to run.
Each time, the installation appeared to go smoothly, but Zimbra never appeared on the desktop.
When I did the 2nd install, Zimbra informed me that it was already installed and would have to uninstall before it proceeded.
After the 2nd install, I still could not find Zimbra on the Desktop. So I went hunting. I found that Zimbra WAS installed, but only on the Administrator desktop. And there it sits.
I made a shortcut on my standard user desktop to access Zimbra, but this is absolutely not right. And it doesn't run well via my standard user account because of the permissions problem. I want to use Zimbra as a standard user on my computer, and not as an administrator.
Is this a known issue? Did I do something wrong? Is there a fix I can apply?
icfantv

Post by icfantv »

Sounds like the zimbra installer requires administrator privileges to install though I'm not exactly sure why.
Regardless, you can move the folder to your desktop and unless Windows has some port level restriction in place for normal users, you should be abel to connect to the default port of 7633.
You can move the shortcuts to a folder of your choosing and simply adjust them for zimbra's new location.
--adam
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

I too did the same. This is a big problem because at all my remote sites. the users can not have admin rights on their workstations. I also noticed that installing as admin puts the zimbra program in the administrator profile directory.
Since i am using a domain controller, there should be a way to deploy zimbra desktop without having to give full rights to the end users. i have yet to find the answer so i will keep searhcing and post here once i find more answers
icfantv

Post by icfantv »

This issue has already been filed as a bug and is fixed in the 2.0 code base. The fix should be included in the first beta beta release scheduled for 01 FEB 2010.
Bug: Bug 42046 - Must be windows admin to get ZD working

ZD 2 Roadmap: Zimbra Product Portal
cheers,
--adam