nwjs - your preferences cannot be read

Need some help getting Zimbra Desktop set up and working?
Ken054

nwjs - your preferences cannot be read

Post by Ken054 »

Just installed Zimbra Desktop 7.3.0 GA (build 13060) on Xubuntu 17.04 (64Bit). It seems to work fine, although I had to install twice but that's likely user error rather than anything else. However on startup I now get a dialogue box showing the above message. It also says "Some features may be unavailable and changes to preferences won't be saved". However if I close the client and restart, any changes I've made seem to be in place.

I also noted that the Help pages tell me " In Mail Filter Preferences, the Run Filter button allows you to select multiple filters to run against selected mail folders", but there is no such button in sight. I wonder whether that may be one of the features that may be unavailable? I doubt it, but something seems amiss.

Being a new user, I'm kind of at a loss as to where to go from here.

Thanks for reading, Ken
PriteshGajjar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: nwjs - your preferences cannot be read

Post by PriteshGajjar »

Can you provide snapshot of Nw.js error you are seeing. We don't have support of filter in Zimbra Desktop, so behaviour you mentioned about filters is correct.
Ken054

Post by Ken054 »

PriteshGajjar wrote:Can you provide snapshot of Nw.js error you are seeing. We don't have support of filter in Zimbra Desktop, so behaviour you mentioned about filters is correct.
No worries about filters. They work fine. It would have been handy to filter the 200+ messages I imported but it's all fixed now and incoming mail is filtered as I need.

Please find attached the error message that's displayed. I think every thing still works ok as the client saves the current state & I've not found anything that doesn't work. However there may be something behind the scenes or in a function that I've not used yet.

Attachments don't seem to work, probably a forum setting so I'll try DropBox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ph2o4hxaa2r8b ... 4.png?dl=0

Thanks for your assistance,
Ken
rixse

Post by rixse »

Hi Ken,
So what was the resolution. I am having the same error. I know the reason for it too. I had installed ZIMBRA with admin credentials and somewhere along when logging in as user I could not get it to work. The zimbra desktop icon was with a lock and I could not launch. Reason was everything was installed as root. Somehow I added my local user id to the icon and lot of other zimbra folders and that got it working. Now I do keep getting the same pop up "nwjs your preferences can not be read. Some features may be unavailable and changes to preferences won't be saved."
It has got to do with preferences file or folder which does not have the user permissions.

Can someone help me locate the file or folder where the preferences are saved, please?

Thank you.
Ken054

Post by Ken054 »

G'day there Rixse,

No resolution yet. I just live with it. Everything else works fine and my preferences ARE saved so it's just a minor annoyance.

Thanks for posting what you found. I'll have a look at my installation when I dig my laptop out of the carton the removalist put it in :)

I'll let you know how it goes.

See ya,
Ken
Ken054

Post by Ken054 »

G'day there Rixse,

Still trying to sort it out. I did find that when running my ~/.config/zimbra-desktop folder has the following files as listed in Midnight Commander:

!SingletonCookie
!SingletonLock
@SingletonSocket

The 2 files starting with a '!' are stalled symlinks (pointing nowhere) and the '@' indicates a normal link. All 3 of these files disappear when I close Zimbra Desktop.

!SingletonLock is linked to a nonexisting file named with a different 19 digit number each time.
!SingletonCookie links to a nonexisting file named 'Epona-?????'. My laptop is named Epona and the '?????' is a different five digit number each time.
Trying to view @SingletonSocket tells me there's "No such device or address".

All of that means nothing to me, but I can't see why it would be trying to link to something that doesn't exist.

See ya
Ken