Very Disappointed

(Formally Chit Chat) Anything Goes (Almost). Should be somehow Zimbra or communication related.
13537storm
Advanced member
Advanced member

Very Disappointed

Post by 13537storm »

Hi folks,
Please VOTE for the bugs I've listed below to get them escalated or considered (the ones @maxypaxy asked about).
Lively is great, though let's keep this civil and constructive. As @jen-emerson rightly says, this forum is for feedback, and other users and staff will try and help with suggestions. @maxypaxy I think it's really helpful that you've listed specific problems you had, and an understandable oversight that you didn't originally list the version number, that's why we're all here to help, learn, and improve the product. I don't think @dalmate was trying to be impolite, but merely suggesting that IN ADDITION TO listing the problems here, you could search for and report new bugs on the bugzilla.zimbra.com

[quote user="maxypaxy"]I was forced to switch from Outlook to Zimbra for work and have to say I am very disappointed. There is such less functionality with this program and I am required to click at least twice as much to get the same outcome as I used to from Outlook. For instance:
1) When I click to open an email to read it and then decide to delete it, the program goes back to the main email reading pane, it doesn't progress to the next email. This causes me to again click on the next email, and if I want to delete that, I have to start all over again. Problem: Double-clicking whereas in Outlook this was not an issue.[/QUOTE]

I'm using 8.07, and in Advanced and Mobile mode I am not experiencing the same problem.
If you are using 'standard (html)' mode, when an item is deleted, the next item is NOT highlighted, and if a message is open, when you delete a message, you are thrown back to the list view, with no message selected.
I have created a bug for this. Vote here to support getting that bug resolved:
To">https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=93630
To help further identify the problem, and resolve it, please let me know:
1a) Please indicate whether you are using 'advanced' 'mobile' or 'standard' mode when you sign into Zimbra (in advanced the tabs are rounded, in standard the tabs are square, and in mobile there is no left-hand pane).
If you are using advanced or mobile mode, you should not be experiencing this bug, answer the further questions below.

If you are using Standard (html mode) you are experiencing this bug. You can try and log out and log in again choosing the advanced mode at the log-in screen (you will need an uptodate web browser, and a reasonably fast internet connection). If you have a slow internet connection, try running Zimbra Desktop from your computer, if you are allowed to install it. It is a free desktop client that works in a similar way to the web client, but is offline.
1b) If you are using advanced mode, under 'Preferences'>'Mail'>'Displaying Messages' there are several options to tell Zimbra which item to display if you have deleted an item: "Message Selection: 1) Select message below the deleted or moved message, 2) Select message above the deleted or moved message, 3) Select the next message based on previous selectiosn (moving up or down)."
1c) What the setting was above when you opened preferences?
1d) Does changing that setting help?
1e) If it doesn't, please describe what browser you are using (i.e. Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Android, Safari, iPhone...)
1f) Please describe whether you are using a tablet, laptop or desktop, or a mobile device to view Zimbra

[quote user="maxypaxy"] 2) When email is open, the arrows to go to previous or next email are on the extreme right of screen, away from all the other prompts.[/QUOTE]

If one selects 'Advanced' mode when signing-in, one will see no arrows on the screen to select the next message, instead use the 'arrow key' on your keyboard to select the next message.
In 'Standard' mode the arrow keys do not work and there is no other shortcut.
I have created a bug to a) allow arrow keys to work as a shortcut in standard mode, and b) place arrows in a more convenient location.

If you support that bug, please vote here to get it considered: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=93632
>

[quote user="maxypaxy"] 3) Companies often require now that emails are bcc'd. There is no option to keep the bcc as a default. I always have to select bcc when I am creating a new email. Again, double clicking or selecting when with Outlook there was a bcc default option.[/QUOTE]

This is a missing feature, I agree it would be really helpful to have that option.

Please vote here to support the request for this feature: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=15306

This bug is not currently targeted for any future release, so voting and useful comments would help draw attention to it.

[quote user="maxypaxy"]4) The spell check doesn't retain a vocabulary of selected words making the function repeatedly highlight the same names, etc.[/QUOTE]

In advanced mode, the spellcheck feature has the ability to add words, the User must rightclick the highlighted word, and select 'Add'.
Unfortunately there's no ability to edit custom dictionary, vote here to support that feature: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=31586

Standard mode has no spellcheck feature, vote here to support adding that feature: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56551

These two features are not currently targetted for any release, so voting and useful comments would help draw attention to them.
Also, if you try and add a similar word to the custom dictionary, it won't work, see bug: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56365

This bug is currently targeted to be fixed in Zimbra 9 (next year).

[quote user="maxypaxy"] 5) The address book is has almost no functionality in its present form -- it is just a list. I used to be able to see columns of address and sort my contacts by company. Now, all I have a an alphabetical list of over 500 contacts. Useless.[/QUOTE]

I agree with your complaint about this.
Please vote here to support that feature: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14862 (allow table view for contacts)

Please also vote for https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8845 (allowing sorting by different fields)
This bug is currently not targeted for any release, so voting and useful comments would help draw attention to it.

[quote user="maxypaxy"] [6] Every single email I receive from others or send that has a signature with a photo/logo shows up as an email with an attachment making the sort function by attachment USELESS![/QUOTE]

I agree with your complaint about this.
Please vote here to support that feature: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=37770

The bug is currently targeted to be fixed in the next release of Zimbra (v 9) sometime next year.

[quote user="maxypaxy"] Unfortunately, these issues are going to slow down productivity by adding more steps to achieve prior same results.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely, and hope others will vote and management team read this to understand that a few relatively small 'papercut' improvements are as important to users, workflow, satisfaction, and saleability, as are grand feature changes.
918jjohnson
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Very Disappointed

Post by 918jjohnson »

Hi Maxypaxy,
I'm definitely sorry to hear you're not having a good experience with Zimbra, and we'll definitely take your feedback to heart. Let me see if I can try to address these or at least clarify the issues...
1) When you are reading the mail, are you reading it in the preview pane or are you opening the message in a new window? It sounds like it may be the latter, but you're looking for behaviour like you would see in the former. Also note that there's a setting in Preferences > Mail > Displaying Messages > Message Selection that controls what is selected when you delete or move a message. I'm not sure if this will help your situation or not, but thought I'd point it out. Overall, the reading functionality of Zimbra is very reading-pane focused which is much more like Gmail than Outlook. In most instances, this is for the better, but as you've pointed out there are cases where single-panel displays aren't optimized enough. I'll look into this further.
2) You're right that the controls are off to the right side, which is true for all view controls. You should however have keyboard shortcuts for moving those, but in verifying that I noted that those seem to not be working. I'll file a bug for that.
3) We've recently made a change to how BCC works, where your choice for displaying BCC will be remembered from session to session, so those that use it often will have it available. This will likely come in Zimbra Collaboration 8.5.
4) You're right that spell check functionality is limited. With the improvements to built-in spellcheck in the browsers, I've considered suggesting that remove Zimbra spellcheck in favor of using the spellcheck in the user's browser. That would mean that the vocabulary you specify in Zimbra is available in other web apps as well, and the reverse obviously would be true as well. If you have thoughts on this, please let us know, as this is still under early consideration.
5) I feel your pain here, and COMPLETELY agree. For some reason early on, someone decided that each contact should contain it's own sorting information, rather than storing it on the list allowing more flexibility in how contact lists are sorted. There is an open bug for fixing this here: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=70257. If this is important to you, please add your vote to it, as our product management does take votes into consideration when prioritizing work for each release.
Regards,

Josh Johnson

Director of UX Design

Zimbra
Brad_C
Advanced member
Advanced member

Very Disappointed

Post by Brad_C »

[quote user="918jjohnson"]
4) You're right that spell check functionality is limited. With the improvements to built-in spellcheck in the browsers, I've considered suggesting that remove Zimbra spellcheck in favor of using the spellcheck in the user's browser. That would mean that the vocabulary you specify in Zimbra is available in other web apps as well, and the reverse obviously would be true as well. If you have thoughts on this, please let us know, as this is still under early consideration.[/QUOTE]
My initial reaction was to leave it as-is and just improve it. The rationalization for that was that when I deploy Zimbra to an additional device (I use Zimbra Desktop a lot as it is a great client for ZCS) the spell check gets replicated across. Having thought about it further however it occurs to me that all my mobile devices (either IMAP or ActiveSync) do their own spell checking anyway so having Zimbra do it in the Desktop and Browser is not that consistent in any case. It's probably more effort than it is ultimately worth to keep Zimbra doing its own spell checking.
dik23
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Very Disappointed

Post by dik23 »

Isn't spell check a browser function nowadays?
918jjohnson
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Very Disappointed

Post by 918jjohnson »

That's sort of my thinking, but rather than remove the feature in an upcoming release and then find out someone was relying on it heavily, I'm asking around every time a related issue arises.
Brad_C
Advanced member
Advanced member

Very Disappointed

Post by Brad_C »

[quote user="918jjohnson"]That's sort of my thinking, but rather than remove the feature in an upcoming release and then find out someone was relying on it heavily, I'm asking around every time a related issue arises.[/QUOTE]
Maybe mark it as deprecated and scheduled for removal at 8.5+1 & see what happens. Having said that it appears not many people read the release notes anyway.
nrc

Very Disappointed

Post by nrc »

I'm wondering if confusion between browser spell check and the Zimbra spell check might be part of the OPs issue. You can add something to your browser dictionary and still have it be flagged as an error by the Zimbra spell check.
I'm a little concerned about Zimbra being completely at the mercy of the browser for spell checking, however. Once upon a time the option to force a spell check before sending a message was widely requested. Is that option rendered moot by browser spell checking?
I'd suggest making spell check an optional feature. Leave it on for upgrades by default but start installing with it turned off. Another option might be to move Zimbra spell check into a Zimlet that users could enable or not as they like.
Brad_C
Advanced member
Advanced member

Very Disappointed

Post by Brad_C »

[quote user="nrc"]

I'm a little concerned about Zimbra being completely at the mercy of the browser for spell checking, however. Once upon a time the option to force a spell check before sending a message was widely requested. Is that option rendered moot by browser spell checking?[/QUOTE]
See that's where I get torn. My ZCS account gets used something like this :

50% Zimbra Desktop (Linux - across 3 machines)

10% Outlook (Windows) (Blech)

10% Zimbra Desktop (Mac)

15% iOS Mail

5% Blackberry (via BES Express)

10% ZCS Web client (Windows/Mac/Linux/Whatever the client has installed)
So 30% of my e-mail use Zimbra has no control over the spell check at all, and how do you keep your spell check synchronised over all those devices/clients?

Every one of those devices/clients has client side spell checking. I'd *love* (read that as LOVE) to have a way where ZCS could synch my spell check across every device. Heck they synch my calendar and address book. But deep down I know it's not going to happen. So it becomes a case of how much effort for 70% (and probably less for most people).

I *like* the idea of a zimlet. Applicable to both the web client and zdesktop. I don't actually use any of the zimlets installed. Can you sync zimlet data across zcs & zdesktop? Is it even worth it given you still don't have access to external mail clients?
Frankly on a personal level I'd much rather Zimbra expend development hours elsewhere.
13537storm
Advanced member
Advanced member

Very Disappointed

Post by 13537storm »

[quote user="918jjohnson"]

5) I feel your pain here, and COMPLETELY agree. For some reason early on, someone decided that each contact should contain it's own sorting information, rather than storing it on the list allowing more flexibility in how contact lists are sorted. There is an open bug for fixing this here: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=70257. If this is important to you, please add your vote to it, as our product management does take votes into consideration when prioritizing work for each release.[/QUOTE]
Alas, Bug 70257 is a private bug, not visible to mere mortals.
swx123

Very Disappointed

Post by swx123 »

I to have been disappointed. Robi Hellums told me it is something that he using in his business and I could get use to it. We will see!