GPO - How to make Zimbra Webmail default mailto client in Chrome and Firefox

(Formally Chit Chat) Anything Goes (Almost). Should be somehow Zimbra or communication related.
Cédric

GPO - How to make Zimbra Webmail default mailto client in Chrome and Firefox

Post by Cédric »

Hi,

I have a client which has migrated on Zimbra there is 1 month and use only the webmail (no mail client).

There is ~50 users and they use IE11/Firefox/Chrome.
They work on 2008R2 RDS server, a part of them (~ 5 users) work localy on Windows 10.

Local IT manager asks me if we can define Zimbra webmail as default mail client (I know that a webmail isn't an email client, it is a website...).
After discussions, we decided to define Zimbra webmail only on Firefox and Chrome.

So I look for a solution to set up Zimbra webmail as default mail client throught GPO (for mailto links among others).

I searched a solution on the web but I didn't find good solutions.

Have you an idea ? A solution ?

Thanks in advance.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Re: GPO - How to make Zimbra Webmail default mailto client in Chrome and Firefox

Post by Klug »

Hello.

IMHO the best way is to use an external tool (ZimbraNotifier by Habitech) that relies on the MAPI layer.
It allows to intercept "mailto:", use the "send mail to" feature in Office and other windows apps, allows drag'n'drop, etc. Iit also has a reminder (calendar) feature.
Cédric

Re: GPO - How to make Zimbra Webmail default mailto client in Chrome and Firefox

Post by Cédric »

I solved this by using ADMX for Chrome and Firefox; you can define mailto handler easly :

For Chrome :
[{"url":"https://zimbra.contoso.com/?view=compos ... ","default": true,"protocol":"mailto"}]
For Firefox :
{"schemes":{"mailto":{"action":"useHelperApp","ask":false,"handlers":[{"name":"zimbra.contoso.com","uriTemplate":"https://zimbra.contoso.com/?view=compose&to=%s"}]}}}
And create this reg key :
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\MAILTO\UserChoice]
"Progid"="ChromeHTML"
or
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlAssociations\MAILTO\UserChoice]
"Progid"="FirefoxURL"
Tested on 2008R2, 2019 Server Std with last Chrome and Firefox version and Firefox EST last version