Setup with K9 email on Samsung Captivate

Take your Zimbra with you!
Sig32

Post by Sig32 »

I had my departments outlook exchange email setup on my phone using K9 email. When my department switched to Zimbra, I was told the only change to make was the Zimbra's server address. I made the change and now I get "Cannot connect to server (IOException) error.
My username and password did not change, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions? They haven't disabled the Outlook acct yet so I can still retrieve my email, but eventually I will have to change over.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="Sig32"]I had my departments outlook exchange email setup on my phone using K9 email. When my department switched to Zimbra, I was told the only change to make was the Zimbra's server address. I made the change and now I get "Cannot connect to server (IOException) error.
My username and password did not change, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions? They haven't disabled the Outlook acct yet so I can still retrieve my email, but eventually I will have to change over.[/QUOTE]You should use Port 587 as the Submission port and you will need to authenticate to submit mail and are you using an ssl certificate? You may need to accept the certificate into K9, it did work for me when I used K9 a while ago but if you continue to have problems you should get your mail Admin to look at the problem.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Sig32

Post by Sig32 »

Thanks for the reply. I have a some questions for you.
When we log into webmail we use https, I assume this means we are using a ssl certificate. For this setting I just put the security type as ssl always. Is this correct?
I don't know what to put in for the authentication path. Is this something IT gives me? What about OWA path?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="Sig32"]Thanks for the reply. I have a some questions for you.
When we log into webmail we use https, I assume this means we are using a ssl certificate. For this setting I just put the security type as ssl always. Is this correct?[/QUOTE]I haven't used K9 in a while so I'm not sure of the settings but..... if your server has a self signed certificate you may need to set K9 to accept unverified certificates, if it's a commercial certificate it should accept it without problems.
[quote user="Sig32"]I don't know what to put in for the authentication path. Is this something IT gives me?[/QUOTE]Authentication is just the credentials you use to login to the Zimbra Web UI i.e. your username/password combination.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Sig32

Post by Sig32 »

Please excuse me as this is all foreign to me. When I setup outlook exchange, K9 filled everything in and I just put my username/password and I was off and running.
Not sure where the unverified certificate setting is, but what I can see for my SSL options are: none, SSL if available, SSL always, TLS if available, TLS always. I don't know what TLS is.
For authentication path, I only have one dialog box. Do I just put my username and password all together, or do I separate them with symbols? Not sure how it should be entered.
ljramos
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15_GA_3869.RHEL7_64_20190917004

Post by ljramos »

outlook and K9 are not related in any way

my setup

under K9 inbox -> click phone menu button

then MORE->settings->account settings-> fetching mail-> incoming server

IMAP FQDN.server.com

security type = SSL always

authentication type =PLAIN

port 993
under K9 inbox -> click phone menu button

then MORE->settings->account settings-> sending mail-> outgoing server

SMTP server =FQDN.server.com

security type = TLS is available

port 587

required sign in

authentication type =AUTOMATIC
Sig32

Post by Sig32 »

Thanks for the settings. I had to setup a new account as opposed to editing my outlook since outlook was setup as an exchange and I am assuming Zimbra is setup as IMAP, is this correct?
I entered your settings, exactly how you put, but I get a "cannot connect to server. (IOExpection)" error for incoming and "cannot connect to server. (unable to open connection to SMTP server) error for outgoing. During setup the servers filled in automatically with "mail.hcso.Tampa.FL.us" I deleted that and put "FDQN.server". Can you tell me where I went wrong?
ljramos
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15_GA_3869.RHEL7_64_20190917004

Post by ljramos »

Are you still having issues with K-9 and Zimbra
bhwong
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bhwong »

Our users on K-9 no longer get their email from Zimbra after we upgrade Zimbra 7 to 8. Anyone encounter similar issue?

I suspect that the command below to fix SSL (https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/How_to_disable_SSLv3) may have affected this:

postconf -e smtpd_tls_mandatory_protocols='!SSLv2,!SSLv3,!TLSv1.2'

postconf -e smtpd_tls_protocols='!SSLv2,!SSLv3,!TLSv1.2'

zmmtactl restart