ActiveSync and Contact Photos (5.0.7) with iPhone 3G/Firmware 2.0

Take your Zimbra with you!
Jason Hung

Post by Jason Hung »

I've noticed that contact photos don't work with ActiveSync in iPhone 2.0. I can attach photos to contacts and Zimbra will be updated, but I won't be able to see previously set photos sync'ed/added by the phone (if I restore my phone per say and reconfigure ActiveSync settings).
Also, has anyone noticed the effect ActiveSync has on battery life with Zimbra? I've noticed one of our phones go down in 2 hours when sync'ed with ActiveSync and only received 1 email in that time period. What about regular ActiveSync services and Exchange? Has anyone measured the difference in battery life?
dustys
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by dustys »

Just talking from previous experience, the only device I've seen handle 'push' well is the BlackBerry. I've used Windows Mobile, Palm, and my iPod Touch and whenever you set push, it will negatively affect the battery life significantly due to the constant data connection to the server. This should be the same result with Zimbra or Exchange since they use the same protocol.
After a day of 'push' on my iPod Touch, I turned it back to polling the server every 15-30 minutes. :cool:
DJS
atalerico

Post by atalerico »

[quote user="Jason Hung"]I've noticed that contact photos don't work with ActiveSync in iPhone 2.0. I can attach photos to contacts and Zimbra will be updated, but I won't be able to see previously set photos sync'ed/added by the phone (if I restore my phone per say and reconfigure ActiveSync settings).

[/QUOTE]
My contact photos work fine on 5.0.7
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

[quote user="Jason Hung"]I've noticed that contact photos don't work with ActiveSync in iPhone 2.0. I can attach photos to contacts and Zimbra will be updated, but I won't be able to see previously set photos sync'ed/added by the phone (if I restore my phone per say and reconfigure ActiveSync settings).[/QUOTE]
do all of them not work or just a few? what format are these pictures in?
davidfsmith
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by davidfsmith »

None of the pictures come across from Zimbra to my device using the Microsoft Direct Push
12237Dirk
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 12237Dirk »

davidfsmith, Can I ask, the pictures on your contacts in Zimbra, when and how did you put them there?
I've seen an issue where 'old' images did not transfer but new ones do. If you add an image to a contact that currently does not have one, does that image get pushed?
Also, try tailing the sync log to see what's happening

tail -f /opt/zimbra/log/sync.log
davidfsmith
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by davidfsmith »

Pictures are added to Address Book on the Mac and then sync to the Zimbra server using the iSync plugin. The images are confirmed to be there using Webmail.
The images however don't transfer to the phone
Looking at sync.log seems to show entries with updated images having data (of some level) being sent to the device, but nothing seems to change on the device with the address book entry
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

what format are these pictures? jpg?
davidfsmith
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by davidfsmith »

[quote user="jjzhuang"]what format are these pictures? jpg?[/QUOTE]
Yes they are.
davidfsmith
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by davidfsmith »

Also updating the image for a contact on the device will update back to the address book on the desk machine via the Zimbra server.