Google Android and Zimbra

Take your Zimbra with you!
16113Chewie71
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 16113Chewie71 »

I know these are brand new, but just wondering if anyone's got an Android device yet?
I see it doesn't support Exchange sync(yet) and it looks like they want to try to tie you to Google Apps and GMail. Any thoughts about integrating it fully with Zimbra...email and calendaring at least?
Matt
12237Dirk
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 12237Dirk »

If I listen carefully, I think I can hear the Zimbra programmers weeping. ;)
I've not checked out Android yet, but my gut instinct on this would be to ask that the iphone features be completed before adding code to support another mobile platform. The android phone will likely support activesync soon, and then the work done to make zimbra support all the nuances of activesync (remote wipe, shared calendars, GAL etc) will become available to Android by default.
eleith
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by eleith »

isn't the android SDK just a java stack ontop of a linux OS?
wouldn't zimbra J2ME run on an android device with a few changes here and there?
quietas
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by quietas »

I would say, finish/fix iPhone support before adding additional platforms. The upside of this would be to allow Android to become a bit more available and allow a userbase to form. It's all supply and demand. iPhones have the highest usage in the smart phone market, even surpassing Blackberries if some surveys are correct.
I honestly think that Android has a great purpose, but it's still too early to say if it will be anything more than a small niche market.
orGSD

Post by orGSD »

I own a G1 (which runs Android) and would say that I do not believe android to be a niche market. Motorola has debateably staked their cell phone future on the android platform.

( Motorola To Hire 300 Android Developers && Will Motorola Go All-In On Android? It Has No Other Choice. )

Now although I would love to see a "native" app for Android, the generic "Mobile" version and "Standard" version both appear to work through the browser and should function as a good stop gap.
MeneM

Post by MeneM »

I say drop iPhone support completely, and go f'r a good product: Android!
2423bradb21
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 2423bradb21 »

How about Android support activesync and then case closed? Google already did up a deal with MS to use activesync in their Google Sync offering.
bmw
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bmw »

Though I'm lucky to have an office that is using ZNE, the ZMobile module makes for a good but limited G1 experience.
2319Fiffer

Post by 2319Fiffer »

[quote user="2423bradb21"]How about Android support activesync and then case closed? Google already did up a deal with MS to use activesync in their Google Sync offering.[/QUOTE]
I would think this is the best way to go.
bmw
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bmw »

On bradb21 remark, the whole idea is to move away from private-ware that is pay-to-play and into open-source that is community driven like Zimbra (hint-hint).