Mobile Support for Multiple Address Books?

Take your Zimbra with you!
airbish

Post by airbish »

I know everyone is asking for Mobile support for multiple calendars...add me to the list.
But I specifically have some questions about syncing contacts with Zimbra Mobile.
1) Is there a way to tag specific contacts that you want synced to your mobile device? Some of our users have 1500+ contacts and probably don't want them all on their Treo.
2) Can Mobile support syncing of multiple address books? We would plan on having centralized shared r/w address books in place of public folders. In many cases we would like these to be sync'd (in some cases we would not)
What would really be great would be a "Sync to Mobile" Check-Box field in each contact that each user could check for the contacts they wanted on their mobile device at any given time. (Even better if if could be a different value for each user even within a shared address book). That way each user could choose the contacts they wanted at any give time. For example, while a sales rep is working a deal they could check the specific customer contacts from their private address book and the contacts from the shared "Vendor" address book. Then when the deal is done, they could uncheck all but the most important couple contacts and free up space on the mobile device.
Can anyone comment on the above? Is there a way 'clone' contacts from one address book to another? A workaround could be to put all your contacts in folders other than "contacts" and then clone only the contacts you want sync'd to the "contacts" folder. (At some point the mobile tail starts wagging the dog, though...)
Thanks for your feedback.
jonnyRo
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by jonnyRo »

This issue is definately on the horizon for us as well. We are planning on rolling out a smartphone to every user within the company, and some of them have a significant number of contacts.
jrobb

Post by jrobb »

It is definitely being considered. Remember that voting helps and here is a quick link to the bug - http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8157
8224pepijn

Post by 8224pepijn »

I too am interested in having multiple ABs and calendars synced through Mobile sync and I'd like to vote for the bug mentioned, but I am not allowed to do so. Is that by design or should I in fact be able to toss my 2 cents into the hat?
pepijn.