Treo 700p and Zimbra Mobile

Take your Zimbra with you!
sgtstadanko

Post by sgtstadanko »

Having trouble setting up a Treo 700p to do OTA sync with Zimbra Mobile. I have seen from the forum that some are able to do it and the 700p is listed as a supported device (no wiki instructions except for 650 and 700w). We have Verizon phones and I have been trying to set it up to use the Verizon Wireless Sync Mail client to no avail. Has anyone been able to set this up because I dont even know if its possible and if not what is the tested and approved email client for the 700p to be able to do OTA sync?
Thanks,

Bill
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

Yes 700p is supported. If you launch Email and check its version it should be VersaMail 3.5, which is a supported client.
What kind of issues are you running into? Can you be more specific? Thanks!
Andy Kailhofer

Post by Andy Kailhofer »

I'll say that for us, ZCS 4.5.x very much broke Zimbra Mobile.
I have a Treo 650, with the DST patch, with Versamail 3.5, connecting to a ZCS 4.5.3 (hosted at Contegix [yay!], with Zimbra Mobile turned on in the admin console), and I get nothing but AirSAMStateMachine.c errors, either 530 3 or 530 14594.
I'll send a slice of sync.log to support, but at this point I've got a lot of very upset users.
textpxy

Post by textpxy »

Has there been any progress on this issue?
Several observations and common threads related to the problem:

It's triggered by having a lot of items to sync. It only seems to happen to users who have a lot of items to sync (e.g., users with few contacts or appointments don't have the problem, users with a lot do). Syncing longer time periods in the calendar also exacerbates the issue.
Users with the problem all imported their contacts via CSV files. Users who started from scratch in Zimbra don't seem to have the issue. This may be a conincidence, however, since none of our users who started fresh in Zimbra have enough contacts yet to trigger the issue. (And, if it doesn't get fixed soon, none ever will because we'll have to abandon Zimbra.)
It's not a network issue. Users on multiple carriers are affected and the problem also crops up when syncing using a direct cable connection.
It's not an issue with a specific Treo model. It's affecting Treo 650, 680 and 700p users.
Status bar is screwed up. There seems to be something wrong with how Zimbra and VersaMail figure out what records are "stale" and need to be updated. In particular, when syncs aren't working, the status bar showing sync progress is the wrong length.
It may be related to a drag-and-drop bug. A possibly related bug in Zimbra is that when a RANGE of contacts is dragged & dropped from a globally-shared contact folder to the user's contacts using shift-click in the browser, on the next sync they are not all sync'ed properly. If the records are selected individually (control click on each) they do seem to sync properly.
It's not an obvious Zimbra configuration issue. Tests with a Zimbra server on an oursourcing company showed the same problem.
It doesn't seem to be a problem with record data. Although it's hard to know for sure, it doesn't appear to be triggered by malformed data in records -- just the total quantity of records.

It's not clear whether the issue is a Zimbra-VersaMail interaction or just a Zimbra issue. Either way, it's a horrible mess for the users and my company is on the verge of abandoning our Zimbra trial because if it.
A warning to anyone evaluating Zimbra: This issue ONLY appears when a large number of items are being synced. You won't see if if you have just a few hundred appointments or a contacts. Basically, everything will work beautifully during your testing, then it'll clobber your power users and executives.
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

Is there a support ticket open for this? If there's a specific issue you are experiencing then support ticket is the right way to handle it. Thanks!
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

By the way 650 does not support contacts sync unless you upgrade VersaMail to 3.5+.
padraig
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by padraig »

why not try WM5/activesync it works well on the treo 750v:)
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

[quote user="padraig"]why not try WM5/activesync it works well on the treo 750v:)[/QUOTE]

Because, AFAIK, the Treo "p" does not run Windows Mobile 8)
textpxy

Post by textpxy »

Thanks for the replies. A few comments:
Most users have Treo 680'. The Treo 650 users have installed the updated VersaMail.
I don't know if any support tickets have been opened for this, but I can check with our IT department.
Is anyone else there (a) having this problem, or (b) successfully syncing a large number of contacts/etc. from Zimbra to a Treo WITHOUT this problem?
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Post by jjzhuang »

How large a number is it? We have people using mobilesync with 4 - 5 thousand contacts without problem.