Sync support for Android 2.0? (ie Verizon Droid)

Take your Zimbra with you!
2423bradb21
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 2423bradb21 »

[quote user="10534bricks"]Unfortunately, I am not able to sync at all...
This thread at least proves to me that it is possible, but my droid is just hanging and will not sync. I successfully put in all the account/server details but it never completes the sync.
Does any of this look incorrect to anyone who has successfully sync'ed?
1. Add "corporate" account

2. enter my email address and password on first screen

3. next screen, under "domainusername", i put mydomain.commyemailaddress.com, enter my password and leave the field for "exchange server" as my domain (domain.com)

4. I uncheck "Use secure connection (SSL)"

5. Click next, choose checking frequency options, etc and click next

6. The Droid then tells me "Your account is set up and email is on the way!"
Unfortunately, the emails (or calendar items or contact) never show up. If I click on the email icon and the account I've created, I just see a blank screen with a small spinning circle in the upper right corner. It looks like its trying to sync but I left it for 10 hours and it still just had that spinning circle.
Anybody have any idea what the problem is? Anyone have their setting different? I love the phone so far but this is frustrating :([/QUOTE]
The field domain/username is domain as in "Windows Domain". Since you're not running a true exchange server, there is no domain... just put your username here. Windows Domain, does not mean your DNS domain name.
10534bricks

Post by 10534bricks »

[quote user="2423bradb21"]The field domain/username is domain as in "Windows Domain". Since you're not running a true exchange server, there is no domain... just put your username here. Windows Domain, does not mean your DNS domain name.[/QUOTE]
I actually tried that as well... Same issue. I have changed around just about every setting in the setup. Most changes cause it to not be able to communicate with the server, and thus it won't go through. But with the settings listed (or with your suggested edit) it goes through and tells me everything is all good. Then it hangs during sync...
Any other suggestions?
wdingus

Post by wdingus »

Android 2.0 "Exchange" (ActiveSync) to Zimbra?
Email Client -> Account Settings -> Incoming Settings
DomainUsername = myname

Password = {my email password}

Exchange Server = mail.mydomainname.com

Use SSL = Checked

Accept all SSL certs = Checked
Note that the setup wizard put the backslash in front of my username, but it appeared to cause no issues, so I left it alone. Also this is against Zimbra NE 6.02
Works great... Have it set with Email Check Frequency = Automatic (Push) and I get emails basically instantly.
I do have the same issue as everyone else, 512 bytes of every email is delivered only. But that appears to be getting some attention and hopefully will either be worked around by the Zimbra folks or get a bump by Google/Motorola/Verizon on 12/17.
su_A_ve
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by su_A_ve »

gosh - I don't want to have to return it...
We opted to try imap sync. Works great until you reply or compose a message... On every sync, for every message sent out by the phone, a new copy gets added on the Sent folder.
MSGID on the source message is the same, however zimbra thinks it's a different one, thefore a new copy gets added.
Anyone else seen this issue?
tecnalb
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by tecnalb »

[quote user="su_A_ve"]gosh - I don't want to have to return it...
We opted to try imap sync. Works great until you reply or compose a message... On every sync, for every message sent out by the phone, a new copy gets added on the Sent folder.
MSGID on the source message is the same, however zimbra thinks it's a different one, thefore a new copy gets added.
Anyone else seen this issue?[/QUOTE]
Yep, same issue here. I have about 10000 messages in my sent items. In my Zimbra web client I have a message that looks to be retrying about every couple of minutes for the last week...
I thought it was due to ExchangeSync but you are saying its IMAP sync doing this??? Yikes!!!!

Just a note to all, Exchange USers are not having these issues. It seems to be only Zimbra.
tecnalb
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by tecnalb »

[quote user="su_A_ve"]gosh - I don't want to have to return it...
Anyone else seen this issue?[/QUOTE]
I went back and did some more testing and I think you may still have your ExchangeSync profile on. I disabled the account from syncing and don't seem to be getting any duplicates.
I originally had it off, then turned it back on a few days ago, and thats when I started to see all the dupe sends.
I'll keep playing with it.
su_A_ve
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by su_A_ve »

[quote user="tecnalb"]I went back and did some more testing and I think you may still have your ExchangeSync profile on. I disabled the account from syncing and don't seem to be getting any duplicates.
I originally had it off, then turned it back on a few days ago, and thats when I started to see all the dupe sends.
I'll keep playing with it.[/QUOTE]
Ok - help me out - how do I know I have this on? Is this a zimbra zmprov setting, or are you referring to the phone itself? We never set up exchange/activesync on the phones...
TIA.
tecnalb
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by tecnalb »

[quote user="su_A_ve"]Ok - help me out - how do I know I have this on? Is this a zimbra zmprov setting, or are you referring to the phone itself? We never set up exchange/activesync on the phones...
TIA.[/QUOTE]
Well if the "Mobile" option is set to on in Zimbra then the sync is enabled.
Now, what I found on my phone is that it would seem, because of the sync issue, if you send a message from the account on the phone that supports ExchangeSync, the message will retry. This is possibly due to the truncated message issue.
So to NOT send via the ExchangeSync account, open the account on the phone, then select the Options Menu. Select Account Settings, and then turn off :
Email Check Frequency

Default account

Email notifications
and leave Sync contacts on. This will allow the ExchangeSync to synchronize the contacts with Zimbra and keep your address book up to date.
You will still get mail if you open the account in Mail. Just don't reply and send via this account.

Then use the IMAP account as the default account, and it seems to work properly as an IMAP account should.
I know, it sucks, but it gets the job done.
It would seem to me that this is a ZImbra issue as no Exchange users I know (and I have an office full of them) are having this issue.
su_A_ve
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by su_A_ve »

Turned mobile option off for my account (via admin GUI)

Turned off Email Check

Changed Default account to another account

turned Off email notifications
Note that we don't sync contacts or calendars with Zimbra.
Still when I refresh the Inbox, a new copy of sent messages is placed on the Sent folder. Only if I delete the message sent from the phone I can make it stop.
BTW - I opened another thread as this is technically a different problem
tecnalb
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by tecnalb »

[quote user="su_A_ve"]Turned mobile option off for my account (via admin GUI)

Turned off Email Check

Changed Default account to another account

turned Off email notifications
Note that we don't sync contacts or calendars with Zimbra.
Still when I refresh the Inbox, a new copy of sent messages is placed on the Sent folder. Only if I delete the message sent from the phone I can make it stop.
BTW - I opened another thread as this is technically a different problem[/QUOTE]

I just deleted 24K messages from my Zimbra sent items, most that dated back to when I initially setup the ExchangeSync account to Zimbra.
So I have completely removed Zimbra from my phone, and have only an IMAP account. I'm going to try it now and see whats up.
It's kinda screwed isn't it???