ZCS 8.0.x Activesync with Blackberry BB10 devices: running hot, abysmal battery life

Take your Zimbra with you!
245centrex
Advanced member
Advanced member

ZCS 8.0.x Activesync with Blackberry BB10 devices: running hot, abysmal battery life

Post by 245centrex »

Testing ZCS 8.0.3 and now 8.0.4 with Blackberry Q10 running 10.1 firmware.
The devices have a bunch of personal IMAP accounts set up that may or may not be on ZCS. Then they have their work ZCS account set up as an Exchange server using Activesync.
Push mail, calendar and contacts seem to sync fine but the devices physically heat up and battery life goes down the drain. I am seeing max. 4 hours standby time.
Deleting the ZCS account from the device returns its performance to normal so I am reasonably certain that the issue is not the IMAP accounts or any rogue app the users might have installed.
The question now is: How do you best diagnose ActiveSync issues ?
We have support tickets with Zimbra and I will open a case on this but want to investigate beforehand so that I can make a more productive case.
Any pointers on what to look for ? It's clearly syncing over and over again or it would not be running hot like this. Something is in a cycle and I want to find out what it is.
Pegleg

Post by Pegleg »

I have a new Z10 for work. Sadly noone here can tell me how to get the email bit working. I've managed to get my calendar to synch but me email all shows up with [no body found] which is a problem as the body is the important part of email. Anyone know how to get that sorted.
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

One of our z-push zimbra backend users ran into this issue recently (https://sourceforge.net/p/zimbrabackend ... quests/54/) and I traced it back to a z-push issue which in turn was due to the way BB have implemented the sync heartbeat command in the new firmware. They are sending completely empty sync commands from the device. This was messing with z-push's cache of most recent sync commands. I suspect the network edition sync is having a similar issue.
If you had a way to tell zimbra to report a lower activesync protocol support level it might work around it for you.
Federico Bertola
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Federico Bertola »

Shouldn't empty Sync requests be a normal behaviour for many devices?

Does this also affect Windows Phone devices?
my 2 cents.