[BUG] No threading.

Whether you are a current user, former user, a Zimbra employee, or anyone with experience using any of our products, we welcome your feedback. Please include a specific product name and version when relevant.
metux
Advanced member
Advanced member

[BUG] No threading.

Post by metux »

The "reply" function just adds another posting at the end - without any threading. And not even quoting.
This makes it practically unusable for discussions - just like Facebook.
rhoward
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

[BUG] No threading.

Post by rhoward »

[quote user="metux"]The "reply" function just adds another posting at the end [/quote]
Actually, when you reply on a message that is not the last post in a thread we insert "In reply to Jenn Emerson:". You can click on that text and it will take you to the post that it was a reply to. We do maintain all of the threading and reply relationships.

[quote user="metux"]And not even quoting.[/quote]
To get to quoting, you can either type the markup (open bracket user="username" close bracket) or click "Use rich formatting":

When using the rich editor you have a couple of options for quoting:
option 1 - Click the "Quote" link. This will insert a quote of the entire message (not super useful)
option 2 - Highlight bits of text you want to reply to and then click the "Quote" link. This will insert snippets of the message you want to hope.
Hope that helps!
metux
Advanced member
Advanced member

[BUG] No threading.

Post by metux »

Okay, but still there should be a real threading (in tree form) - otherwise it's really hard to follow longer discussions.
rhoward
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

[BUG] No threading.

Post by rhoward »

I've gone back and forth over that for years with people. We used to support an NNTP interface on the software too because of this (no longer available). We used to have more of an inline threaded response view, but overwhelmingly our customers use this flat view. So that is what we standardized on about 3 years ago. But like I said, we do maintain all of the hierarchy so creating a tree view is still an option (the entire UX does everything against a standard API which is available via REST as well if you are feeling creative <g>).
metux
Advanced member
Advanced member

[BUG] No threading.

Post by metux »

Well, that isn't actually helpful as long as the frontend doesnt support it ...

By the way: ZCS's WebGUI also doesn't support threading properly - that linear view is a real mess when working w/ mailing lists.
rhoward
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

[BUG] No threading.

Post by rhoward »

The front end not supporting it is by design. This is the first request we've had for it in a long time.

The ZCS web gui threading - the linear view being a mess. Is this because the posts are not sorted in order received or is there something else going on? I'm on a quite a few lists and haven't noticed any odd behavior, but maybe I overlooked it.
metux
Advanced member
Advanced member

[BUG] No threading.

Post by metux »

[quote]

This is the first request we've had for it in a long time.

[/quote]

Maybe you never had powerusers, who're working w/ maillists, newsgroups, etc on a daily basis.

[quote]

The ZCS web gui threading - the linear view being a mess. Is this because the posts are not sorted in order received or is there something else going on? I'm on a quite a few lists and haven't noticed any odd behavior, but maybe I overlooked it.

[/quote]

They're not ordered in a thread tree.

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/334kef5.jpg[/IMG]
rhoward
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

[BUG] No threading.

Post by rhoward »

[quote user="metux"]Maybe you never had powerusers, who're working w/ maillists, newsgroups, etc on a daily basis.[/quote]
We have plenty of power users across our various communities and have, in the past, directly integrated with newsgroups (we used to have an NNTP backend on the software) and we do have direct integration with mailing lists. The preference that we hear from the majority of our customers is to support a the flat list that is most common in forums.
Was a treeview of posts something that was available in the previous Zimbra Collaboration forums?