Does anyone remove spam or spammers from these forums?

Whether you are a current user, former user, a Zimbra employee, or anyone with experience using any of our products, we welcome your feedback. Please include a specific product name and version when relevant.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

This user is a spammer and I've reported every one these posts as spam aver the past days yet they are still on the forums - does anyone actually moderate these forums (perhaps that should be manage)? There are threads being posted in all the wrong forums and none of them are moved, there are forum members that appear to be spammers and not being removed and there's even a moderator on the Collaboration forums that doesn't have the ability to remove or ban spammers, what's happening about the state of these forums or is this another subject that's being 'looked at' by some anonymous team within Zimbra?
The fact that we still can't get a list of all unread (or new posts since the last visit) makes it almost impossible to find any new posts on all the forums, I have no intention of visiting every forum just to find out if there's now or unread posts - this is a waste of time and nowhere near as good as the old vBulletin method for finding new content.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
jenneme
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by jenneme »

Phoenix, this is really strange. This user just created his/her account 3 hours 50 minutes before you made this post.

But, I see that this person is following a spam naming pattern, so I have banned this profile. Thank you so much for reporting it. Sorry for the inconvenience and annoyance.
I do have employee moderators reviewing the forums daily. They are doing a good job. But, of course, we could always use help from the community. So, we are grateful for those out there reporting issues and flagging posts they consider spam. What "moderator on the Collaboration forums that doesn't have the ability to remove or ban spammers" are you talking about?
We will be employing non-employee moderators soon. I am getting a moderator program approved. And before the end of the year I will be giving community members an opportunity to be a part of the program. I will post details soon.
On the topic of unread posts, unread threads are listed first and are in bold type vs. posts you had previously read with no new posts remaining unbold. Is that helpful?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="Jenn Emerson"]
Phoenix, this is really strange. This user just created his/her account 3 hours 50 minutes before you made this post.

But, I see that this person is following a spam naming pattern, so I have banned this profile. Thank you so much for reporting it. Sorry for the inconvenience and annoyance.[/quote]It's not an inconvenience or annoyance to me, I'm used to it. The problem is that we can't see when a member joined the forums (but I should have paid more attention to the posting date/time), on a members profile there are no visible statistics such as join date, post count, last visit (or possibly IP address) etc., etc. - so it's impossible to tell if it's a spammer.

I would add that you're going to have repeated problems from those spammers in Egypt, it seems that your forum anti-spam system doesn't catch them no matter how many times they're reported. It's already started again today with more of the same (reported) rubbish. Something needs tweaking in whatever anti-spam system you're using (Akismet?).
[quote user="Jenn Emerson"]On the topic of unread posts, unread threads are listed first and are in bold type vs. posts you had previously read with no new posts remaining unbold. Is that helpful?[/quote]No, it's of no use. I have to go into each forum and check whether there are unread posts, we used to be able to get a list of unread posts on all the forums or a list of all unread posts since the last visit or even a list of all posts within a certain specified time (such as the last 24/36/72 hours or the last week), that's what's useful..
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

In addition to my other points about "new posts" there's also the is also the problem that when you go to a thread with a new post you have to scroll to the end of the thread. In the old forums we were able to go to the first unread post in a thread - in very long threads you may have to scroll through pages of posts to find that specific unread post. Again, this is not user friendly and wastes time getting to the relevant post.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
imx
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by imx »

This is almost like Microsoft migrating Hotmail away from FreeBSD (because it was embarrassing for them) all over again....

Sure, it is embarrassing for Zimbra/Teligent to use forum software from another vendor, when they have their own, but quite simply it should be a case of fitting the needs of the users...right now this does not fit the needs for the users and as far as I can see it is a long way away from having even the most basic actions. On the SPAM issue, there must have been 2-3 pages of it in the 'Administrators' forum earlier.

The new 'Community' seems like it would work ok internally, but is just not up to servicing the kinds of technical users you generally have on the Internet. I don't want 'fluffy' I want something that works and currently the 'Community' works in the loosest sense of the word...
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

This is another example of spam on the forums, this was flagged not long after it was posted and it's still here. In addition, it seems that the user accounts of spammers still remain visible on the forums is that correct? There also seems to be a bunch of these spammers that are visible in a search.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra