How to force text/code formatting and turn off post autoformatting?

Whether you are a current user, former user, a Zimbra employee, or anyone with experience using any of our products, we welcome your feedback. Please include a specific product name and version when relevant.
RogerTennet
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by RogerTennet »

This forum software is horrific when it comes to formatting.

It's a forum where we talk about code, and configs, and html output etc, but it's darn near impossible to get a post to just be left alone line we post it -- in plain text, preferably monospaced font.

Instead we get automated formatting and end up with this

https://community.zimbra.com/collaborat ... /t/1137014

yuck! Trade you wasted space and useless 'avatars' for just simple formatting!
faulumpy
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.6.0.GA.1153.UBUNTU14.64 U

Post by faulumpy »

Yes. I have to second that. I'd like to have:

Documentation about the formatting possibilites, meaning which HTML tags can be used
The possibility to preview a post before it goes live
The possibility to change my own posts if the formatting went wrong
Release 8.6.0.GA.1153.UBUNTU14.64 UBUNTU14_64 FOSS edition, Patch 8.6.0_P6.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

I'd like to think that comments in this feedback forum are being listened to and discussed at Zimbra but on current performance, I doubt it. I'd also like to think that there might be some feedback from Zimbra and further discussion on the suggestions that have been made in the forums and perhaps some vision from Zimbra on it's future direction. There is no "community" in these forums on the (Telligent) platform, sadly it's all lacking. I'd go so far as to say that the information posted here seems to fall into a black hole somewhere in Texas and will probably never see the light of day. Sad and disappoining. [:(]
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
RogerTennet
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by RogerTennet »

I really don't want to have to agree with you. But I can't help it. imo, you're right.

I get the whole "eat your own dog" food argument for using the Telligent 'Social platform' for these forums. But to torture the metaphor -- any good dog owner will tell you (1) you HAVE to 'listen' to your dog, (2) when you dog keeps getting sick and leaving a mess after eating the food it's telling you something, and (3) when you know it's the dog food making your dog sick, you change the food -- not the dog.

If the majority of Telligent isn't going to participate with "community" it'd be really helpful if they'd at least get out of the way, bring back the vbulletin forums, and let community members and the old ZImbra devs actually help one another.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="RogerTennet"]I really don't want to have to agree with you. [/quote]After nine years on these forums I really don't want to be making these comments, there isn't really much to say that I (and others) haven't said in other posts since the unexpected move to this new platform. You can see what's happening with this particular 'feedback' forum, no follow-up on comments posted here. Once upon a time there were moderators and staff members visiting the forums but with the lack of being able to tell who's who (they used to be identified) you can't even send anyone an email or PM - as far as I can see this forum is a dead end and it seems pointless even posting comments here.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
faulumpy
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.6.0.GA.1153.UBUNTU14.64 U

Post by faulumpy »

My mistake, I didn't realize I was able to edit my own posts by using the link "More". Scratch the third point from my wish list.
Release 8.6.0.GA.1153.UBUNTU14.64 UBUNTU14_64 FOSS edition, Patch 8.6.0_P6.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="faulumpy"]My mistake, I didn't realize I was able to edit my own posts by using the link "More". Scratch the third point from my wish list.[/quote]Shouldn't it be obvious or intuitive instead of hidden on another menu? Why should I have to go into rich text formatting mode just to quote your post? Why does it have to be a rich text mode for that function? Why isn't there any good formatting options for the post? Why is the text in rich formatting (while I'm actually typing this) such a small font compared to your post above it? Did they ever consider with vision problems when they set the size of the font so small in rich text mode? My eyesight is good and I have problems reading it from any distance. Why is there no preview mode after you've formatted a post? You actually have to post your reply to see what it looks like and if there's a problem you jump through the many hoops (mouse clicks [:)]) to get to a position where you can edit the text again. I thought the suggested number of clicks was three to get to a function you need, I guess the staff at Zimbra (Telligent) don't use this Social software for anything more than simple replies. These and many other questions have been raised and no answer forthcoming. We've been told that this forums software is infinitely customisable (I paraphrase slightly) but unfortunately it's not possible to customise it if you're a user - you're lumbered with whatever your provider gives you.
We've been pointed to other sites like Rackspace 'Community' (amongst others) with great looking pages, we're stuck with these pages that look and behave like some Facebook/Twitter clone or even a Janet & John book. These are supposed to e  professional support forums and a showcase for the Zimbra Collaboration product, I think it's way off the mark. Nobody from Zimbra is managing this wasted resource, there are no moderators on these forums (to speak of) and the forums themselves are in a mess - posts about Zimbra are in all the wrong section and there's even posts about ZCS in the Social part of the forums - nobody bothers to move them and I guess the unanswered posters wonder why they don't get answer to their questions.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Coincidentally I came across this image on a blog that I read regularly and thought it appropriate for a lot of web sites I visit, it goes along the same lines as why developers write horrible documentation. Happy holidays everyone. [:)]

Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hi guys,

1.- I'm working hard to have the Moderators on as soon as possible. It will be really helpful for everyone.

2.- The look and feel of the Forums, comparing with the Rackspace Community for example, you have 100% right. In the Rackspace Forums, everything looks like really great Forums. For now we are keeping this forums with the 'Out of the Box' template, I prefer the look and feel from Rackspace Community. I will ask for a plan or schedule to have new Template more Forum based. Let me ask.

3.- The Collaboration Forums, are really active and I'm trying to help people, engage other people, etc. But of course a forum needs a moderators, specially like phoenix, you did a great job all of this years. You can always send me a PM, you see that I'm posting all days. But of course we need moderators.

4.- Speaking about the wrong sections, yes, sometimes people write in the wrong Forum. I'm trying to reply people, and sometimes I don't have the enough time to move the thread to the correct Forum, but again, this problem with a team of moderators could be easier, and really good for everyone.

5.- The Telligent (Social) Forums is the same like here, we need some moderators there to help with the questions, I'm working on that.

6.- I really love the preview mode, the code friendly forums, and so on. I will pass all of this feedback to the team, I hope that can have good news soon.

7.- There is not anymore Telligent people, we are Zimbra now, and sometimes Quanah, or Tony, or Conrad, Farrukh, Alex, etc, Zimbra workers, come to the Forums to help people, so of course not everybody will come to the Forums, but I'm trying to engage the correct Zimbra people to try to answer all the questions, a lot every day.

So, my point here is, I'm with you that everything can be better, for this reason we are here, please let us help, and if you have something really important, urgent, send me a message and I will try to help you as fast as I can.

Let me a few days to return here with some answers.

Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/
RogerTennet
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by RogerTennet »

So what do I need to do @

https://community.zimbra.com/collaborat ... /t/1137609

to get this stupid formatting on this site to LEAVE MY POST alone and just display exactly what I send? This is really ridiculous!