Bug reporting

Whether you are a current user, former user, a Zimbra employee, or anyone with experience using any of our products, we welcome your feedback. Please include a specific product name and version when relevant.
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Bug reporting

Post by pup_seba »

Hi,

So nobody from zimbra support/engenieering teams are monitoring bugzilla anymore, since this was announced https://blog.zimbra.com/2018/05/zimbras ... g-process/.

I asked in that blogpost if any access to the new bug reporting system was going to be available, but my question is still waiting for moderation...leave alone thinking on getting an answer :D

Is there any way to see the bug tracking and report things, or see how others workaround the problems. Feels odd not having access to a bug tracker when using open source software.
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 P12

Re: Bug reporting

Post by ccelis5215 »

pup_seba wrote:Hi,

So nobody from zimbra support/engenieering teams are monitoring bugzilla anymore, since this was announced https://blog.zimbra.com/2018/05/zimbras ... g-process/.

I asked in that blogpost if any access to the new bug reporting system was going to be available, but my question is still waiting for moderation...leave alone thinking on getting an answer :D

Is there any way to see the bug tracking and report things, or see how others workaround the problems. Feels odd not having access to a bug tracker when using open source software.
This project uses open source components but t's not an open source project.

They just maintain and release an open source version, a very good one by the way.

ccelis
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

pup_seba wrote:Hi,

It's effectively been that way since Synacor took over, as far as I can see.
pup_seba wrote:I asked in that blogpost if any access to the new bug reporting system was going to be available, but my question is still waiting for moderation...leave alone thinking on getting an answer :D
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. You'll notice how none of the blog posts, that I can see, have any comments approved - perhaps it's to do with maintaining a perfect image of the company/product. I know of several users that have posted comments, myself included, and they've not been approved and mine was pointing out a minor discrepancy in the post.
pup_seba wrote:Is there any way to see the bug tracking and report things, or see how others workaround the problems. Feels odd not having access to a bug tracker when using open source software.
Apart from the access to the current 'stale' state of bugzilla, you can still see what posted by the community contributors but all the NE stuff and any staff entered reports are not available to the Community users - sad isn't it? I wonder what they hope to achieve by ignoring and discarding their users.
ccelis5215 wrote:This project uses open source components but it's not an open source project.
Yes, and isn't that extremely short sighted when this was, and could be again, a great resource for the company. Apparently they do have staff trawling the forums and filing bugs based on some of the problems they see but you'll notice that were never allowed to see any of those reports either.
ccelis5215 wrote:They just maintain and release an open source version, a very good one by the way.
I don't think anyone could disagree with that. :)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

I'm not happy with this situation, mostly because on how zimbra support operates. Usually, when I open a support ticket, the thing ends up with support saying something like "I opened an internal bug", no workaround provided either...is like "deal with it". No matter if they are able to reproduce the error or not. But after they say "i opened a bug" is like they forget about the issue and now we have no way of actually seeing if any advance is being done, and I'm talking about paying customers here.

Lately it feels like is just a waste of time opening a ticket and now I'm not even able to file, contribute or check solutions to bugs :/

I guess this woudln't be a problem if we had access to better trainied/experienced support people (there are a few exceptions like Teodor or Rick who imho do a really good work) and we also have a better wiki or god forbid, a knowledge base! But this lack of bug tracking just adds to other things and again, imho is not good for anybody :(

Anyways, thanks for the answers and sorry for the rant.

PS: btw, in the last webinair I assisted, during the Q&A I asked if they were considering replacing spamassassin with rspamd. The answer zimbra gave me was that I should open a bug in bugzilla, crazy huh? Of course I provide them the already existing ones...but come on. That thing is all over this forum in phoenix signature, as a perma post and again, why ask to fill a bug in a system that nobody from zimbra even checks? :(
cyus

Post by cyus »

The response to one of the tickets I posted to Zimbra Support Portal, one about zmtrainsa java error with ZCS 8815 p1 NE, was:
Hello,
It's a bug in current installation, we are able to reproduce it internally.
We've filled a bug and reference number is "ZBUG-1163".
We'll update you the status of this bug in sometime.
Thank you
Sometime??
I'm requesting more info about the bug and I'm waiting for a response. I'll keep you updated.
Regards.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

cyus wrote:The response to one of the tickets I posted to Zimbra Support Portal, one about zmtrainsa java error with ZCS 8815 p1 NE, was:
Hello,
It's a bug in current installation, we are able to reproduce it internally.
We've filled a bug and reference number is "ZBUG-1163".
We'll update you the status of this bug in sometime.
Thank you
Sometime??
I'm requesting more info about the bug and I'm waiting for a response. I'll keep you updated.
Regards.
In my experience, that response means the bug has been slotted for development and we can expect a fix within one or two patch releases. In the recent past, when Support acknowledges a bug exists and gives you a bug number, if the bug is not being picked up by development right away you get a response that says something like the timing for the fix will be determined when the bug is slotted for development (really bad paraphrasing there, sorry...)

The "sometime" IMHO would be more accurately translated as "in the near future" or "in due course". Again, in my experience with seeing these responses to me and to my customers.

Regardless, you are entitled to have your Support Case remain open until the bug is fixed, and to have periodic updates. If it were me, if I didn't hear anything back in two weeks, I'd add a Comment to the Case asking if the bug has been slotted for release in the next Patch.

Hope that helps,
Mark