Life After Local Folders Go Away...

Whether you are a current user, former user, a Zimbra employee, or anyone with experience using any of our products, we welcome your feedback. Please include a specific product name and version when relevant.
AgentPete

Life After Local Folders Go Away...

Post by AgentPete »

Hello -

We are trying to understand how to deal with local files once Zimbra Desktop is discontinued.

It neither makes sense - nor would be remotely feasible - to store years worth of emails on our email provider’s server. A terabyte of data is involved.

Without the ability to keep local files, we may have to transition away from Zimbra, which would be very sad.

I’m wondering how other people might be handling this?

Thanks for any assistance.
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: Life After Local Folders Go Away...

Post by BradC »

Here we use imapsync to periodically clone zimbra mailboxes across to a dovecot mailserver. You can then use archivemail to selectively delete mail from the source folders older that a specified number of days/weeks/months/years.
We then access those archives using thunderbird as an imap client.

Personally I'm pretty upset at the loss of Zimbra Desktop but it is what it is.

If anyone knows of an integrated linux client with the following features :
- MAIL (and capable of setting sync length limits like "only keep the last 9 months locally")
- Calendar
- Address Book
- Task list / reminders
- Briefcase

You know, the stuff we actually *use*, and provides the level of integration (One tool does all) that ZD does on a Zimbra Server, please let me know :)

We are still using 7.6 as a server, and I've asked the IT guys to hold off upgrading until we find a viable replacement client (or a viable replacement server). Don't make me run Outlook in a VM. Then I'd have no reason to keep pushing back against a migration to Exchange.