Zimbra 9 Modern Client in Network Edition Only

Whether you are a current user, former user, a Zimbra employee, or anyone with experience using any of our products, we welcome your feedback. Please include a specific product name and version when relevant.
feva

Re: Zimbra 9 Modern Client in Network Edition Only

Post by feva »

Marc Gadsdon wrote:
mntwinsfan wrote:
If Zimbra had also released 8.8.15p9 repackaged as 9.0 OSS would we be having this conversation?
If Synacor had released a V9 OSS package, with the modern UI being a NE addon, it would have resulted in much less consternation or confusion. Why didn't this happen? The most plausible reason in my mind is that this is just the first step in a complete divergence, where the OSS edition will be put out to pasture when EOL happens and things moving forward will be closed only.

Of course, this is just my opinion, one which I hope is wrong (there are other plausible reasons - maybe this a kick in the pants to the community to contribute more). But based on the information we have right now, divergence is the reason which I think is most likely, in the absence of clear communication from Synacor on plans moving forward.
sempiterna

Re: Zimbra 9 Modern Client in Network Edition Only

Post by sempiterna »

Neglecting the zimbra community is (imho) not a good step for zimbra. A lot of software is is elevated by the support of the community. Both visible and invisible.

I've had private (family, my websites, etc) zimbra servers for years, so I know a bit of how it works, how to administer it, update it, etc. I was actually in the process of trying to sell Zimbra to the company I work for. Because, again, I know how zimbra works and I am one of the persons who would have to take care of it. The major benefit of Zimbra is that I get to know how it works privately, and therefore I can bring that knowledge to companies I work for... which would be an opportunity for Zimbra/Synacor to make a sale that would not have happened if a community edition did not exist.

That ship has sailed away for now, because I cannot endorse a product that I cannot trust for continuity. I don't want to migrate to something, and then do it all over again to another product a few years after because it's policies changed. A shame really, because I have not found any product (including Kopano) that comes close to the features Zimbra has.