Hi Mike,<b

Industry info, happenings near you, and new product integrations. Hosting an event? Invite people here.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Hi Mike,<b

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Hi Mike,
That Paul Maritz is ex-Microsoft is a big plus IMHO.
He was the third person in the "three's a crowd" situation at Microsoft with Ballmer and Gates, so he left. I expect he is quite keen to compete heartily for a few of those 10,000+ seat Exchange deployments...
He has a good track record at building companies and VMware's board has given him a wide berth from which to reinvigorate VMware after the departure of VMware's co-founder and CEO Diane Greene.
Virtualization software is effectively commodity priced now; VMware is pretty much the last holdout with five-figure pricing for three-server acceleration kits. Citrix, Sun, etc, are moving up the food chain to supplying higher value-added infrastructure (cloud computing) services as well as application (SaaS) services, so Zimbra fits in nicely with that strategy for VMware.
Plus, VMware's model of giving away base products for free to seed the market and enable sales of higher value-added products and services mirrors Zimbra's model.
I only hope VMware doesn't try to change too much at Zimbra too quickly. I spent thirteen years in investment banking doing tech and media mergers and acquisitions, and one reason so many acquisitions fail is that the buyer too often thinks "they know better" (they bought the company after all, right?). The buyer starts changing things they shouldn't, encouraging all the good people at the acquired company to move on elsewhere.
So, I hope you and everyone else at Zimbra signed looonnnnggg, non-terminable employment agreements as part of this deal! :rolleyes:
Looking forward to even better things coming from Zimbra!
All the best,

Mark
P.S. One feature where Exchange shines against most other groupware platforms is replication. To be able to do stateful HA with two Exchange servers across a WAN in two different data centers means we have a few customers for whom Zimbra is a non-starter. The WAN HA capability was "promised" back in the ZCS 4.0 days; it sure would help us sell to more demanding mission-critical accounts if you got a budget to implement that feature...
Rich Graves
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Hi Mike,<b

Post by Rich Graves »

[QUOTE]P.S. One feature where Exchange shines against most other groupware platforms is replication[/QUOTE]
Either VMWare or their parent EMC would be happy to provide that.
Jason Hung

Hi Mike,<b

Post by Jason Hung »

This is a huge relief and great news! VMware is a company that has dedicated itself to the server industry. Hopefully, we will see Zimbra integrate better with VMware products since most of our servers are configured with a VMware stack.
langs
Advanced member
Advanced member

Hi Mike,<b

Post by langs »

I really don't see any down side of this, I think it's a great outcome not only for Zimbra itself but also for their customers as Vmware are way more positioned to understand Zimbra and what we as customers want.
The focus will be in the right area's and rather then just take from Zimbra like yahoo wanted to, I think VMware can bring good feature addins to the table like replication.
stiller
Advanced member
Advanced member

Hi Mike,<b

Post by stiller »

[quote user="Rich Graves"]Either VMWare or their parent EMC would be happy to provide that.[/QUOTE]
WAN data replication using generic SAN/Virtualization technology is a different creature with much higher demands.

For many situations, the higher TCO would defeat the purpose of moving to Zimbra in the first place.
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Hi Mike,<b

Post by uxbod »

Perfect timing then I guess : VMware Announces the Availability of VMware Go™ - Virtualization for SMBs in Three Easy Steps
sevilla
Advanced member
Advanced member

Hi Mike,<b

Post by sevilla »

i dont know why, but i feel zimbra Open Source will be disappearing slowly and becoming only a comercial product.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Hi Mike,<b

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="sevilla"]i dont know why, but i feel zimbra Open Source will be disappearing slowly and becoming only a comercial product.[/QUOTE]Then you're mistaken.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Hi Mike,<b

Post by L. Mark Stone »

[quote user="sevilla"]i dont know why, but i feel zimbra Open Source will be disappearing slowly and becoming only a comercial product.[/QUOTE]
I personally would doubt that as well too.
VMware learned years ago they needed a free product to remain competitive and stimulate sales of the commercial product, so they made GSX free (the offering has now become ESXi). Xen Server, now free too, includes the equivalent of Live VMotion, which VMware only includes in their paid products.
Indeed, there could be the possibility that the Zimbra free Open Source edition might even get more attention under VMware.
We'll see though, won't we? :)
All the best,

Mark
sevilla
Advanced member
Advanced member

Hi Mike,<b

Post by sevilla »

yes.. you're right.. Im working with ESXi over Sun X4250 at least one month and i like it. I always refuse work with Virtual Machines because i always needed all the memory and processor for my applications and i belived install a Virtual Machine Administrator wasnt a good choice. The times are changed.. Now, getting a powerfull server its more cheap and the "Core" of Vmware as changed as well translating their products to Free.
I hope VMWare still keep this needed for all the community and give a PLUS for the new Zimbra Vmware..