Enhancement Hacks - power of filters & always_bcc

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
gsilver

Post by gsilver »

Zimbra is absolutely wonderful and I look forward to some much needed enhancements but until then I thought I would share some of my simple/hacky yet effective steps I have taken to accomplish specific tasks.
fyi: I'm running open source edition on Ubuntu 6.10 LTS, 40 Users (EDIT: 6.06 rather)
"Archive All" Email Account

always_bcc to an internal address archiveall@mydomain.com in main.cf

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html (search for always_bcc)
Keyword review

As a financial firm we need to have a method of flagging certain terms appearing in the body of e-mail for review. Using filters in my archiveall@mydomain.com account I can create folders and tag items containing keywords in the body of the message

Filters can be very powerful. My only wish would be to be able to setup procedural "groups" of filters so that I could use more powerful logical conditions.
Internal E-Mail

While the solutions I have seen for this involve a little too much customization for my taste (I hate it when upgrades break or remove functionality I added through hacking), I have a "good for the time being" solution for our interns here.

ALL interns email address' maintain the same email naming convention as everyone else plus a ".intern" appended to the name (e.g. "John Doe" jdoe.intern@mydomain.com)

They are instructed to not send email to external accounts. archiveall@mydomain.com has a filter that says the following
if all of the following conditions are met, flag it

From contains ".intern@mydomain.com"

To does not contain "@mydomain.com"

I have to run now and get back to work but I thought I would share and hopefully get a thread going of similar tips / improvements to my own to help out fellow administrators.

-Gavin
gsilver

Post by gsilver »

bump.. above post was broken i think for a bit but now is fixed..
please share your thoughts!
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

I think you should rename you "Catch All" title in your first post, a 'catch all' email address is something completely different and we do have a method of creating one via the command line. I guess yours is a type of Archive Account?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
gsilver

Post by gsilver »

you are right... it is an archive account,
my original purpose for this type of account was to quickly resolve the lies of "omg my email is missing and i swear i did not delete it"
but after realizing the power of filters on what is equal to an "all mail" account i saw many more uses of such an account
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Yes, it's certainly a good idea. There is an archiving facility available for the Network Edition but this is a good idea for the OSS version. You might also like to look at the zmmsgtrace tool for ...erm tracing messages through the system.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
fajarpri
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by fajarpri »

Hello Gavin,

I'm not sure I'm not following you. I understand about the always_bcc in postfix. But I don't understand the filter. How do we implement the filter?

Cheers.
gsilver

Post by gsilver »

HEY THERE!

CREATE AN ACCOUNT THAT WILL HAVE A QUOTA LARGE ENOUGH TO GET COPIES OF ALL MAIL. (E.G. ARCHIVEALL@YOURDOMAIN.COM)

SET "ALWAYS_BCC" TO THAT ADDRESS.

IN THE ADMIN VIEW, "VIEW MAIL" AS ARCHIVEALL@YOURDOMAIN.COM (OR ALTERNATIVELY; LOGIN DIRECTLY AS THAT ACCOUNT)

GO TO "OPTIONS"

GO TO "MAIL FILTERS"

SET RULES ACCORDINGLY.

HOPE THAT HELPS.. LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE STILL HAVING TROUBLE.
fajarpri
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by fajarpri »

Now I understand it.

Good work! Creative thinking! :)

Nice.
ideallife

Post by ideallife »

[quote]HEY THERE!

CREATE AN ACCOUNT THAT WILL HAVE A QUOTA LARGE ENOUGH TO GET COPIES OF ALL MAIL. (E.G. ARCHIVEALL@YOURDOMAIN.COM)

SET "ALWAYS_BCC" TO THAT ADDRESS.

IN THE ADMIN VIEW, "VIEW MAIL" AS ARCHIVEALL@YOURDOMAIN.COM (OR ALTERNATIVELY; LOGIN DIRECTLY AS THAT ACCOUNT)

GO TO "OPTIONS"

GO TO "MAIL FILTERS"

SET RULES ACCORDINGLY.

HOPE THAT HELPS.. LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE STILL HAVING TROUBLE.[/QUOTE]

LET'S SAY THE QUOTA IS REACHED... DOES THE INTERN GET AN EMAIL BACK? IF NO, HOW DID YOU PREVENT THAT?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

You would have been better starting a new thread about this as the behaviour has changed since this thread started.
[quote user="ideallife"]Let's say the quota is reached... Does the intern get an email back? If no, how did you prevent that?[/QUOTE]The user will get a warning message when the quota is getting close to full, if it goes that far then incoming mail will eventually get bounced. The way to prevent it is give the user a larger quota.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra