spam configuration in admin console

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
13546dalmate
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 13546dalmate »

Ok,spam filter configuration in user client is so good,not thing to complaints

but in admin console, I think it's too little to configure spam filter, such as:

-If I want to block mails from an address or ip

-If I want to block mails that have some text

If can, anyone show me how to configure it from admin, or to help me block before spam mail go into mailbox of an user
chrisp8756
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by chrisp8756 »

We have added the following RBL'S to our zimbra server which has reduced our spam allot.
In Global Settings under the tab "MTA" dns checks there is a list of List of RBLs that help prevent spam.
In use with no issues

1.dnsbl.njabl.org

2.cbl.abuseat.org

3.bl.spamcop.net

4.dnsbl.sorbs.net

5.sbl.spamhaus.org

6.relays.mail-abuse.org

7.b.barracudacentral.org

Just having the above RBL'S we really haven't had to much else with our spam filter in Zimbra. Hopefully this helps and have a great day!
bbarrons
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bbarrons »

Hi Chris,

I use the same list of rbl's except for barracuda. The day I added them to the list I had 4 complaints within a matter of hours. Barracuda kicked sbcglobal.net comcast.net firstep.net and dupont.com. As soon as I took them off the users were able to get emal thru. I contacted barracude support to ask what I did wrong but they havent bothered to reply. that was 3 days ago.
chrisp8756
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by chrisp8756 »

Thanks for the FYI BBarrons, I just re-tested sending an email from Comcast back to our server and it was received.Where is Barracuda in your list of RBL'S? I have Barracuda listed as the last RBL would that matter? I did however have a similar problem that you mentioned with ips.backscatterer.org which I removed from our RBL list.I find that cbl.abuseat.org benifits us the most. According to the logs most of the junk we get it stopped by cbl.abuseat.org.
bbarrons
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by bbarrons »

to be honest I dont know if it matters where it is listed. I had it as the last one in my list.

I do not have cbl.abuseat.org in my list..... Do you have that one listed first?

Iam also wondering if it was how I had barracuda listed. I had it as barracuda.org not b.barracuda.org but it definelty bounced all comcast as well as the others I listed.
ah, I see where you have it listed as second....
13546dalmate
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 13546dalmate »

But with those, we can't modify anything.

In Mdaemon, they have an engine to filter the content of email ( to forward or move, delete,... email) and have a spam engine for MTA. We can modify in the admin Console.

But in Zimbra, only users have a content filter.

With postfix, we can create a content filter but I don't know if it work with zimbra because zimbra uses postfix as MTA
veronica
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by veronica »

Would work the same way as it in postfix.