duplicate email issue

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
altimage

duplicate email issue

Post by altimage »

[quote user="kollross"]We've been getting several reports of people when downloading email from a 3rd party client (outlook, outlookexpress for sure possible others) using pop they are receiving duplicates email messages in there inbox, sometimes 3-4 copies of the same email. I can view there email through the Zimbra webmail and the duplicates do not exist there. I'm wondering if there is some sort of caching issue somewhere somehow. Wondering if there was a known issue and if there was workaround for the issue. Again this is not widespread but we are starting to hear more and more reports about the problem.[/QUOTE]
Did you ever find a resolution for this? We're seeing the same thing. Random clients are getting some duplicates. We moved them from a different mail server where they weren't having any problems. Its not all email so its hard to pinpoint but I havent seen anything weird in the logs.
thanks,

altimage
bobby
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

duplicate email issue

Post by bobby »

you may not see enough in the logs until you enable extra logging for pop and imap:
in the file /opt/zimbra/conf/log4j.properties

add one or both of these:

log4j.logger.zimbra.pop=DEBUG

log4j.logger.zimbra.imap=DEBUG
right after this line*:

log4j.logger.zimbra=ERROR,SYSLOG
then restart tomcat and look in /opt/zimbra/log/zimbra.log. you can send that log to me and i will take a look ;)

* n.b: you might have a different log level for this line like log4j.logger.zimbra=INFO
bobby
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

duplicate email issue

Post by bobby »

if you want to try something different you can

check out the full headers for the duplicate messages and see if the message-id's are the same

run zmmsgtrace -r recipient@your.domain.com -t 20060106[2139] #choose the approximate time the messages arrived (year-month-day[hour-minutes-seconds if you want])

if you are not seeing duplicates in the web client this probably won't show anything :(
avisser

duplicate email issue

Post by avisser »

Myself and another collegue are having the same problem. We both have email set to be left on the server. He is using Entourage and I'm using Thunderbird.
Once I changed my settings to leave messages on the server, that is when I started to get duplicate emails.
Has anyone been able to solve this issue?
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

duplicate email issue

Post by marcmac »

Zimbra version? This is a known bug, but I'm pretty sure it's fixed in M4.
avisser

duplicate email issue

Post by avisser »

Using the Open Source M3 build 436
bobby
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

duplicate email issue

Post by bobby »

avisser did you check out that ms kb article kevinh mentioned above?
avisser

duplicate email issue

Post by avisser »

Bobby, I did read the article and it pertains to Outlook. I have people with Thunderbird and Entourage having the same problem, that is why I suspected the mail server was having issues.
bobby
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

duplicate email issue

Post by bobby »

:o post first, ask question later :o
are these connections through pop and/or imap? that bug should be fixed in M3. have you found anything interesting in the logs?
it may be worth checking thunderbird for a corrupt db :)
kollross
Advanced member
Advanced member

duplicate email issue

Post by kollross »

We upgraded to M3 a few weeks ago and this seemed to fix 95 percent of the duplicate email problem. I was never able to duplicate the issue, so we were always pissing in the wind trying to find a fix to the issue. I believe that the upgrade fixed the problem (as well as upating outlook (which most had never done)).