Address auto-complete in ZCS 6.0.6

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
selliott
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by selliott »

[quote user="soxfan"]Just ran it on a test account under 6.0.6 and got:
ERROR: account.INVALID_ATTR_NAME (invalid attr name: [LDAP: error code 17 - zimbraPrefContactsDisableAutoCompleteOnContactGroupMembers: attribute type undefined])
I'll be happy if this change makes it into 6.0.7, but I really hope it can be set at the COS / Domain level. I've got a couple of hundred users and haven't gotten even one positive comment on this new "feature".[/QUOTE]

Man, I hear you. My Company Director is furious and I am getting a lot of complaints from my users. Hopefully they will get it 6.0.7. Thanks for running a test on your test server. I will just let them know that, "It is, what it is"....
selliott
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by selliott »

[quote user="soxfan"]Just ran it on a test account under 6.0.6 and got:
ERROR: account.INVALID_ATTR_NAME (invalid attr name: [LDAP: error code 17 - zimbraPrefContactsDisableAutoCompleteOnContactGroupMembers: attribute type undefined])
I'll be happy if this change makes it into 6.0.7, but I really hope it can be set at the COS / Domain level. I've got a couple of hundred users and haven't gotten even one positive comment on this new "feature".[/QUOTE]

Now it is getting ridiculous. Now my CO's Admin wants to send an email to our Board of Trustees and this is what she sees.... This problem needs to be fixed as soon as possible. I don't know how long I can hold them off...
GAL.png
cayaraa
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS 8 NE & ZCS 8 FOSS

Post by cayaraa »

selliott,
You might be running into the cached autocomplete problem in the rank table that they tried to fix in 6.0.6 (which in turne caused/uncovered man more autocomplete bugs). It can take a while to work as I found out.
$ zmprov ga user@domain.com zimbraContactRankingTableSize

$ zmprov ma user@domain.com zimbraContactRankingTableSize 0

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi ... 1#c38">Bug 40081 – Unable to get rid of emailed contact
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by soxfan »

[QUOTE]Now it is getting ridiculous. Now my CO's Admin wants to send an email to our Board of Trustees and this is what she sees.... This problem needs to be fixed as soon as possible. I don't know how long I can hold them off...[/QUOTE]

In this case it might be easier to tell this person to pick the group out of the Contacts list and select "New Message". I agree, it's a major hassle having to deal with this issue. Unfortunately it appears the issue won't be fixed until 6.0.7 is released, and all indications are that the release isn't getting pushed up, so we're looking at late May at the earliest.
Rich Graves
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Rich Graves »

Is standard HTML version (mail.example.com/h/) any better? If problem is all server-side, I wouldn't expect it to be, but one of the bugs on the list for 6.0.7 implicates javascript-side caching.
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by soxfan »

[QUOTE]Is standard HTML version (mail.example.com/h/) any better? If problem is all server-side, I wouldn't expect it to be, but one of the bugs on the list for 6.0.7 implicates javascript-side caching.[/QUOTE]

Appreciate the suggestion Rich; I really do, but I have a couple of issues with it. First, the problem is so hit or miss it's going to be tough to test whether or not the HTML version works any better. Just had a user call over asking why one day she can search by first name, the next day first name doesn't work, but last name does, and then some other days she has to search by company (I actually think it is email domain). Beyond that, even if the HTML version was better I wouldn't suggest my users switch to it. Too many other questions / problems would come about because of the differences in the versions.
fcash
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fcash »

It's great that this bug is marked as "FIXED", except that they fixed it backwards. They've defaulted to the new behaviour ... which is completely different from the pre-6.0.6 behaviour. IOW, a major feature has changed defaults in the middle of a stable release branch.
This property should be set to TRUE, so that typing in a contact name only lists addresses with that name in it ... and NOT every single group that person belongs to.
Major UI changes like this should not happen in the middle of stable release (6.0.x) branch; that's the whole point of a major version (6.0 -> 7.0) bump.
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by soxfan »

[QUOTE]It's great that this bug is marked as "FIXED", except that they fixed it backwards. They've defaulted to the new behaviour ... which is completely different from the pre-6.0.6 behaviour. IOW, a major feature has changed defaults in the middle of a stable release branch.
This property should be set to TRUE, so that typing in a contact name only lists addresses with that name in it ... and NOT every single group that person belongs to.
Major UI changes like this should not happen in the middle of stable release (6.0.x) branch; that's the whole point of a major version (6.0 -> 7.0) bump.[/QUOTE]

OK, we're mixing a couple of "issues" in this thread now. Originally this thread was discussing how badly address auto-complete is broken 6.0.6. Now we are veering off into a discussion of a separate issue regarding contact groups showing up in address auto-complete where they did not before.
Anyway, since upgrading from version 5 to 6 (at the 6.0.5 level) we have been noticing the contact groups coming up. I have been under the assumption that this is a new "feature" in version 6 and the new default behavior. The bug/RFE that has now been marked "fixed" will allow this new "feature" to be turned off. So, the way I see Zimbra isn't switching mid-stream here.
urbanX

Post by urbanX »

bit of a step down from the web interface IMHO, but can anyone confirm whether or not this behaviour is exhibited in the desktop client? i'd like to at least be able to set that up for users who are PISSED at me right now, at least as an interim measure.
thanks,
d.
jmainwaring

Post by jmainwaring »

I need a patch ASAP on this issue, I can't wait until 6.0.7 for this to resolve otherwise I may be receiving an order from the top to begin looking for a new email solution.
Sounds a little ridiculous over auto complete, but before I assumed the role as Zimbra Admin our previous host ruined the perception of Zimbra in the eyes of my coworkers. Since I've taken over the duties I've worked to improve the environment as well as bending over backwards with PR to change those perceptions, but this issue is derailing my efforts.
Zimbra - I'm not trying to bad mouth you, but from an end user perspective, they consider the auto complete to be as critical as the functionality behind the send button. I don't believe it's a good practice to make people wait this long for post-upgrade-patching to resolve things that weren't identified during testing when it affects a frequently used functionality. It's equivalent of an office building having a broken front door and requiring you to use the back door for the next month. Sure, you have the same functionality, but the ease of use is completely shot considering that the parking lot and the back door are on opposite sides of the building.