Sent, Sent Items, Sent Messages

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Labsy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Labsy »

Now, 4 years after original post and year and a half after last reply, issue still not solved!
Ok, wouldn't it be easier for Zimbra to join all IMAP clients "sent" folder names not by processing each name one by one, but rather to have sent mail automatically saved in SENT mailbox ON SERVER SIDE if client is using Zimbra server for sending mail out?

Isn't that just what Google IMAP is doing?
BTW...above rules for Outlook 2003 ARE working, but mail in "Sent" folder is marked as unread (bold) which is annoying. Ok, I know, I know, Outlook 2003 IMAP support sucks, yeah...
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

Indeed this is still an issue. Especially when my CEO decides to use IMAP on his blackberry and cant find a critical email that he sent from the device on the server while he was in a meeting.
He told me that next time my paycheck would be in the sent items folder and that i would have to go look for it!!! LOL
but seriously, are there any workarounds for this?
fcash
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by fcash »

[quote user="Labsy"]Now, 4 years after original post and year and a half after last reply, issue still not solved![/quote]
The issue is solved. This is an IMAP client issue. The server just lists the names of the folders available. It's up to the client to decide what to use each folder for. There's no special "sent folder" flag in the IMAP protocol.
Each IMAP client needs to be configured to use the correct IMAP folder.
It would be nice if every IMAP client vendor standardised on a name for the "sent messages" folder. Until that day arrives, it is up to the end-user to properly configure their client-side software.
[quote]Ok, wouldn't it be easier for Zimbra to join all IMAP clients "sent" folder names not by processing each name one by one, but rather to have sent mail automatically saved in SENT mailbox ON SERVER SIDE if client is using Zimbra server for sending mail out?[/quote]
Zimbra never sees client-side folders. Zimbra (like every other IMAP server) just presents the client with a list of folders. Other than Inbox, no other folders have any special meaning. They're just folders. It's up to the IMAP client to decide what to with them, and to give special meaning to them. This is why they (or at least the good ones) all have settings where you select the "trash" folder, the "sent" folder, the "draft" folder, and the "junk" folder. What you name those is entirely arbitrary.
[quote]Isn't that just what Google IMAP is doing?[/quote]
No, Google's IMAP server just presents you with a list of IMAP folders. It's still up to the client to decide what to do with the sent message (store it locally, store it on the server, store it in both places, etc, etc).
[quote]BTW...above rules for Outlook 2003 ARE working, but mail in "Sent" folder is marked as unread (bold) which is annoying. Ok, I know, I know, Outlook 2003 IMAP support sucks, yeah...[/QUOTE]
Exactly. This is an IMAP client issue. Not an IMAP server issue. Thus, it has exactly 0 to do with Zimbra.
Configure your IMAP clients correctly, and this "issue" disappears.
sangamc
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sangamc »

zimbra 7 will create a sent messages folder, or whatever your device uses for the 'Sent' folders name with all the sent messages from your imap client. Its now a non-issue and we should mark this thread solved