[SOLVED] Are redo logs ever used in OSE?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
captainmish
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by captainmish »

Hello
We have an OSE install that was "downgraded" from NE about a year ago, and have a lot of redo logs in ~zimbra/redolog/archive/redo-{date}-{seq}.log, each around 1.1G. This is currently using quite a lot of space and I'd like to clear it out (or possibly just prevent it from happening).
As far as I understand, the NE restore process will use these for restoring from the NE backups. Are they any use on a OSE install? I see that redo.log is open and used, but the others seem to be part of the NE backup system.
Can anyone tell me if its safe to get rid of all of these, and is it safe to disable them completely (ideas on how to do this welcome, `zmprov mcf zimbraRedoLogEnabled FALSE` has been suggested for this, though the post referencing it was from 2005).
Thanks,
Rich Graves
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Rich Graves »

The most recent redo log could be needed in case the server goes down uncleanly. Anything in archive can be deleted.
You want zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover TRUE. It defaults to FALSE for new NE and TRUE for OSE installs.
captainmish
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by captainmish »

Thanks Rich, I think this is the issue here - downgrade to OSE left the default zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover TRUE that NE had set up, though it doesnt need it. Ive filed a bug asking for this to be changed when "downgrading" to OSE. Bug 59789 – zimbraRedoLogDeleteOnRollover should be changed to FALSE when moving from NE to OSE
Thanks again,