return-path for personas

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
izrunas

return-path for personas

Post by izrunas »

I'm running into an issue where some systems with which I interact assume that the "return-path" in an email header is the sender's address instead of going by the address set in the persona. How can I get the return-path header variable to be equal to the email address set in a Persona definition? Thanks!
gvillari
Advanced member
Advanced member

return-path for personas

Post by gvillari »

Hi,
maybe the following is the related bug:
Bug 47518 – discrepancy in return-path when sending on behalf of other user
Regards
gvillari
Advanced member
Advanced member

return-path for personas

Post by gvillari »

Also this one:

Regards">https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=51240
Regards
izrunas

return-path for personas

Post by izrunas »

I read the bug reports so kindly provided in reply to my original question--and I have to say that I am confused why anyone would EVER want the return-path to be different from the "from" that has been configured by the user in the persona definition.
This is a MASSIVE privacy issue and presents operational issues as well (when a receiving system processes 'return-path' instead of 'from'). I had not really considered the true privacy violations caused by this BUG and I have been trying to think of any legitimate reason for this behavior to be subject to a "toggle" instead of simply being *fixed* (which I assume is far simpler).
Does anyone have a workaround for this issue? Without the ability to have return-path match from in any persona, it forces me to use additional accounts instead of being able to consolidate into one account.
Thanks in advance!
izrunas

return-path for personas

Post by izrunas »

Is there any progress on this? I agree with all the folks in the bug report-- this is a SERIOUS issue.
gvillari
Advanced member
Advanced member

return-path for personas

Post by gvillari »

Hi,
the related attribute is 'zimbraSmtpRestrictEnvelopeFrom', and to resolve your issue you have to set it to 'FALSE'.
For account:

zmprov ma user@domain.it zimbraSmtpRestrictEnvelopeFrom FALSE

For COS:

zmprov mc CosName zimbraSmtpRestrictEnvelopeFrom FALSE

Regards

Giovanna
izrunas

return-path for personas

Post by izrunas »

Thanks for the info on doing this for individual accounts, but is there a global variable I can set?
Thanks!
gvillari
Advanced member
Advanced member

return-path for personas

Post by gvillari »

[quote user="izrunas"]Thanks for the info on doing this for individual accounts, but is there a global variable I can set?
Thanks![/QUOTE]
'zimbraSmtpRestrictEnvelopeFrom' is not a global attribute, but instead of change it for individual account, you can modify it for class of service:

zmprov mc COSname zimbraSmtpRestrictEnvelopeFrom FALSE

Hope this help
Regards

Giovanna
batfastad
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

return-path for personas

Post by batfastad »

Thanks for providing info on how to solve this issue. Ran into this today when adding another domain to our server and it's pretty frustrating.
Is there a way to set this option through the admin ui?

It's such a fundamental problem that it should be given prominence in the admin ui for cos and when adding a new domain.
EDIT: This is actually much more serious than I thought. Sent a test mail to Gmail and it seems that Gmail uses the return-path header when checking the SPF record.

So Gmail checked the SPF record for domain.com which resulted in a fail because the mail was actually sent using domain2.com which has different mail routing and therefore a different SPF record,

Is anyone else able to verify this, to check it's not something wrong with our config?
Cheers, B
gvillari
Advanced member
Advanced member

return-path for personas

Post by gvillari »

Hi,
from my knowledges there is no reference in admin console for this attribute, I always use it from command line.
Regards