Mysql error - New Zimbra installation

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="mlanner"]Well, test server or not ... I guess you can call it that ... [/QUOTE]I asked that question so you could run the command I gave you in my last post, did you try it?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
mlanner
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mlanner »

It was 6 AM in the morning here and I was getting desperate for some sleep. I ended up doing a clean install on the new host (again) and followed the Platform and OS Independent ZCS to ZCS Migration Using Rsync - Zimbra :: Wiki article this time.
My /opt/zimbra just finished copying. So far so good. The only issue right now is that the directory structure is a bit different and I need to figure out if I can simply re-run the ./install.sh -s again to "repair" the directory structure, restore the LDAP data again and finally run ./install.sh.
bmosher01

Post by bmosher01 »

We're getting ready to migrate ZCS 7.1.3 from Ubuntu 8 32 bit to Ubuntu 10 64 bit. We're planning to take the "Platform and OS Independent ZCS to ZCS Migration Using Rsync" approach. Were you able to get this to work?
Looked into some of the other methods, and they seemed convoluted.
mlanner
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mlanner »

Hi everyone,
First, thanks for all the replies with suggestions.
In the end, the method that did work on this particular server was the "Platform and OS Independent ZCS to ZCS Migration Using Rsync" method. As I believe I mentioned before, I have previously migrated using the "Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server" article. However, it didn't work well this time. Well, it might have, but it still remains unknown since I gave up on that method and started over. It's quite possible that the issues I was having with the "Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server" method were essentially the same as the ones I ran into with the "Platform and OS Independent ZCS to ZCS Migration Using Rsync" method. I will never know.
Since this was an NE installation, I ended up filing a case with Zimbra support to assist me. As it turned out, there were a few libraries that did not play well after the conversion from the 32-bit to a 64-bit system. One of the Zimbra support guys (major shout-out to Tony) was tremendously helpful. He also discovered that the installation was affected by a known bug under Ubuntu 10.04, which caused the new server to crash every few hours after it had been successfully installed. In the end, although the server started OK, we still had problems with LDAP. The LDAP database had been corrupted and it was completely re-built by Tony. The system has been running stable since then.
All-in-all, I think there are benefits to both methods. Because of how the "Platform and OS Independent ZCS to ZCS Migration Using Rsync" method transfers everything in /opt/zimbra to the new server, you might risk running into issues caused by legacy files that get transferred and which you probably don't really need. I think that perhaps the "Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server" gives you a bit cleaner of an installation. However, that's just my own thoughts on it. The Rsync article is definitely easier to follow and it has the benefit of not having to manually parse the localconfig.xml file. Also, if you take the Rsync path, it can definitely reduce your service window and downtime during the actual migration. Maybe they can be mixed and matched to provide the "ultimate" migration article. Given my experiences with both methods, if I were to do it again, I would probably give a "mix and match" approach a try.
So, bmosher01, I think it's a toss-up. You can go either way. Or, if you know what you're doing, you can try to take the best of both articles if that makes sense to you.