Migrating from 6.0.7 to 7.1.4

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
estanford

Post by estanford »

I am currently running Zimbra 6.0.7_GA_2473.RHEL5.NETWORK on RedHat Enterprise 5.2 and have built a new server running Zimbra 7.1.4_GA_2555_NETWORK on RedHat Enterprise 6.2 to eventually replace the old server. I want to migrate the accounts to the new server in small groups and need to know what is the best method to accomplish this.
drwho18
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by drwho18 »

Install the same version on the second server to update the app database, tar up your current /opt/zimbra dir, untar it over the new install on the second machine, then run the upgrade script on the new machine. That should get it done.
justdave
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.9.GA.3019.UBUNTU16.64 FOSS

Post by justdave »

We just did almost exactly this. (we went from 6.0.7 to 7.1.3 about 6 weeks ago, and are in the process of moving people in small groups to a new set of servers)
You're going to want to upgrade the *existing* server to 7.1.4 *first*. Trust me, this will make life a LOT easier on your users because the account move utilities work a lot better in 7.1.x than they do in 6.0.7. In 6.0.7 moving an account to another server takes that account offline for as long as it takes to move the account. If the user has a lot of data, that could be an hour. In 7.1.3 and up it snapshots the account and leaves it active while moving, then replays the redolog for that account against the new server from the snapshot onwards until it catches up, then takes the account offline long enough to make one last redolog pass and switch it to the new server, usually resulting the account being offline for 20 to 60 seconds or so, no matter how big it is. For this to be seamless to the users, you'll want to be running a zimbra-proxy that can see both servers.
justdave
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.9.GA.3019.UBUNTU16.64 FOSS

Post by justdave »

If you're planning to move accounts a few at a time you're going to want to set up your new server as part of a multi-server install with your existing server so that they know about each other. If they're the only two servers you have, set up the new one as an LDAP slave to the old one so that it loads everything over. Then when you finally have all of the accounts moved, you would promote the new server to master, and remove the old one.
Federico Bertola
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Federico Bertola »

You can try ZeXtras Migration Tool, I used it a lot and since it allows incremental migrations seems to suit your case perfectly...
It's also on the Zimbra Gallery - ZeXtras Migration Tool - Zimbra to Zimbra migrations, the easy way | Zimbra :: Gallery

Regards,

Federico
estanford

Post by estanford »

[quote user="drwho18"]Install the same version on the second server to update the app database, tar up your current /opt/zimbra dir, untar it over the new install on the second machine, then run the upgrade script on the new machine. That should get it done.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info.
estanford

Post by estanford »

[quote user="justdave"]If you're planning to move accounts a few at a time you're going to want to set up your new server as part of a multi-server install with your existing server so that they know about each other. If they're the only two servers you have, set up the new one as an LDAP slave to the old one so that it loads everything over. Then when you finally have all of the accounts moved, you would promote the new server to master, and remove the old one.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up about upgrading our existing server to 7.1.4 before I start to migrate to the new server. This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.
estanford

Post by estanford »

[quote user="federico.bertola"]You can try ZeXtras Migration Tool, I used it a lot and since it allows incremental migrations seems to suit your case perfectly...
It's also on the Zimbra Gallery - ZeXtras Migration Tool - Zimbra to Zimbra migrations, the easy way | Zimbra :: Gallery

Regards,

Federico[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info however I tried using this tool but unfortunantly it errors out because both servers are running the Network version of Zimbra.
Federico Bertola
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Federico Bertola »

The New 1.2.3 version introduced support for Zimbra NE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
estanford

Post by estanford »

Thanks and I will try that. I was not aware of the new version supported the Network version.