[SOLVED] ZCS 7 No more Documents Tab...

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
sdrury
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sdrury »

Can I ask what the reason was for removing the Documents tab and merging it with briefcase?
Personally I don't see the logic but was there a critical reason for this change?
Regards,

Sean.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="sdrury"]Can I ask what the reason was for removing the Documents tab and merging it with briefcase?
Personally I don't see the logic but was there a critical reason for this change?[/QUOTE]The wiki feature (which was what Documents used) was removed from Zimbra: Bug 39647 – Migrate existing wiki to briefcase
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
sdrury
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sdrury »

Ok I understand that. I have an open support ticket as I have a 'rare' case like what is mentioned in the bug above:

"It is highly recommended to create a backup of the mailbox before upgrading to

Helix. In a rare case when the migration has not not processed all the

WikiItems in the mailbox, the old Notebook items can be retrieved from the

backup and manual migration can be attempted on the backup data."
I need to know if the backup of my account happened and how do I restore the documents (25 or so) that have not converted properly.
Regards,

Sean.
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by uxbod »

The mailbox will not have been backed up automatically.
timothyalangorman
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by timothyalangorman »

I've beena zimbra customer since you could buy NE.. I've done the upgrade to 7.0./.

This is a HUGE ordeal for US we have HUNDREDS of documents that are shared (collaboration we call it!!!) and they are all GONE!!! simply in limbo!!!

I need to know how to get these back.

I called the support number (the first time in the several years I've been using zimbra) and requested a call back.. any help or info would be critical to my corporate operations.

Timothy Alan Gorman
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by uxbod »

Sorry, but this will need to be something for support to sort out for you.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

[quote user="timothyalangorman"]I've beena zimbra customer since you could buy NE.. I've done the upgrade to 7.0./.

This is a HUGE ordeal for US we have HUNDREDS of documents that are shared (collaboration we call it!!!) and they are all GONE!!! simply in limbo!!!

I need to know how to get these back.

I called the support number (the first time in the several years I've been using zimbra) and requested a call back.. any help or info would be critical to my corporate operations.

Timothy Alan Gorman[/QUOTE]
Hi Timothy,
I am sorry to hear of this and have seen other posts on the Zimbra forums from others having the same problem.
I have therefore opened a new Bug Report requesting that the Documents-to-Briefcase converter be broken out as a standalone utility that we can run prior to attempting an upgrade to 7.
IOW, I am proposing that, while the Documents feature is still in place, users and admins be empowered to do the conversion to Briefcase documents at their leisure, dealing with any "failed" conversions while the Documents are still accessible under ZCS6.
In that way, worst case is users and/or admins will need only to copy 'n paste a reduced number of Documents' contents into new Briefcase documents manually, again, prior to the upgrade to 7.
I believe that will make the conversion to 7 easier for all, and reduce Zimbra's support costs.
If you feel the same, please vote for the bug and post your support case number there as well; I am given to understand that bugzilla items with Support Cases attached to them sometimes get more attention sooner:
Bug 56898 – Briefcase: Make Documents Converter Script Available To Run Before Upgrade
Hope that helps,

Mark
P.S. Calling Zimbra Support is fine, but in my experience you get the ticket triaged quicker if you create the ticket yourself at Zimbra Support Portal.
sdrury
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by sdrury »

That's all good and well except that 7.0 has already been released and many paying customer's assume it has been fully tested and QA.

I'm at a loss as to why the decision to remove the documents app without any consultation with Zimbra's paying customers.

Happy for advancements in the ZCS but when major changes are going to occur there needs to be better highlighting of changes PRIOR to customers upgrading!

It's been a week now and I am still waiting for my documents to be restored.

Regards,

Sean.
timothyalangorman
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by timothyalangorman »

Soo after re-creating the wheele here we all have our dons back and are making workarounds....

Other that one p[erson who happens to be the Chief Controller here..

Instead of her docs under the briefcase section she has a foldr naed..

".migrate-wiki" and it has no content.. Ironic enough all the "Documents" she shared with me are still accessible by me and other people but the OWNER / creator cannot see them...

This also bring up another issue.. if a chief user is teminated and their the sole owne of some docs or at this point a briefcase... how does one export those Items for sheer work-flow purposes?

thanks
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="sdrury"]That's all good and well except that 7.0 has already been released and many paying customer's assume it has been fully tested and QA.

I'm at a loss as to why the decision to remove the documents app without any consultation with Zimbra's paying customers.

Happy for advancements in the ZCS but when major changes are going to occur there needs to be better highlighting of changes PRIOR to customers upgrading!

It's been a week now and I am still waiting for my documents to be restored.

Regards,

Sean.[/QUOTE]Details about the removal of the Documents feature is in the Release Notes and in the mentioned bug reports:
Bug 39647 – Migrate existing wiki to briefcase

Bug 50465 – Install: Disallow use of notebook, spreadsheets and slideshows
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra