I must finally migrate away from 4.5.11 - any help or pointers?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
msf004
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by msf004 »

So I find 100's of threads about migrating; however, I find few that are exactly what I need.
I am currently on 4.5.11 network edition. Due to server HDD failures, I am needing to migrate to an entirely new server - this is not just update to the newest version but a server migration.
At a high-level, my plans are:
(0) procure new server

(1) install newest version on Zimbra

(2) configure new Zimbra

(3) establish SSL certs, etc. on new server

(4) export all account data from old server

(5) import all data into new server

(6) edit some 80 DNS record to point to new server IP address
My concerns are:
(1) I installed my current version some 5 years ago and forgot about it. I am not a mail admin. I have literally no clue how to administer Zimbra any longer

(2) unsure what I need to do to establish licenses for new version - I have not talked to anyone @ Zimbra in 4 years

(3) the export, copy, and import process could take days - or at least many hours; thus, I am concerned how to ensure I get all of everyones mail migrated over
Any guidance, assistance, or input would be greatly appreciated. I have a few days to plan this out before I must start and I am trying to ensure it goes as smoothly as possible.
alto
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by alto »

Have a look here ZeXtras SUITE for Zimbra Open Source especially their migration tool. I've not used it but that looks really handy.
I'd say you have the opensource edition so won't need any license unless you purchased a perpetual license which won't be any good for the latest version of Zimbra
msf004
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by msf004 »

I currently have 4.5.11 network edition (licensed version). However, I am greatly considering moving to the open source version 7.2 (I think that the the version).
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by soxfan »

So, if you had HDD issues what is the status of your Zimbra server? Is it still up and running? If not, how are you planning on accessing your data so that you can move to a new server? There is a bunch of info in the forums and wiki on migrating to a new server, but I'm afraid with your version being so old, and making such a big jump to 7.2 you may run into issues. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that if possible you might need to do an intermediate upgrade or perhaps even two on your existing server. If your current server is not operational at all you may need to setup a server, temporarily, at the same level that you were running. Hopefully the 4.5.11 software is still available somewhere.
As far as your license, I'm an Open Source user / administrator, but I think there is just a file somewhere that you will need to copy over to the new server. Switching to open source is certainly an option, but just make sure you download / install the proper software and that you understand what features / functions you will be losing with the switch.
msf004
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by msf004 »

The current server (with the bunk HDD) is still hobbling along. It currently crashes at least twice a day; which I why I am trying to move quickly.
I also backup the zimbra data twice a day (off of the hobbling server) - so in the event of full crash, I should still have access to the user's data.
Regarding the version 4.5 and the new versions, my current path was going to be:
(1) Setup a new server

(2) install ZCS 7.2.1 (or 8.0) onto new server

(3) attempt to import 4.5 backup data into new instance
However, from your post (soxfan) it appears importing data from 4.5 NE into 7.2.1 Open Source may not be an option.
Does anyone else have a take on this? Can I import my data from may 4.5 installation into a newer instance on a new server?
GreenGumby
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by GreenGumby »

How many users?
It may be easier to setup the new server, recreate the users and use something like imapsync to migrate from the old to the new.