change minimum password length of email accounts

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
msrmanohar

Post by msrmanohar »

hi,
This is the first question i am posting in this forum. I have done zimbra 8 open source installation and successfully migrated all my accounts from qmail to zimbra. i wanted to know how to change the minimum password length for user accounts and also how to allow special charters like _ . in the usernames. please let me know.
awaiting response with anticipation
Regards

Manohar MSR
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by soxfan »

Not running ZCS version 8 here yet, but at least in version 7 and prior you can change the minimum password length within the Admin Console under Class of Service --> Advanced. I'm sure this can also be done at the command line using 'zmprov', but I'm not sure of the exact syntax / setting name off the top of my head. You can also make this change at the individual account level as well.
As far as special characters like underscores and periods, you could definitely use them in user-names in version 7 and prior. If version 8 is not allowing them it sounds like it could be a bug. I'm not aware of any setting to control this.
msrmanohar

Post by msrmanohar »

[quote user="soxfan"]Not running ZCS version 8 here yet, but at least in version 7 and prior you can change the minimum password length within the Admin Console under Class of Service --> Advanced. I'm sure this can also be done at the command line using 'zmprov', but I'm not sure of the exact syntax / setting name off the top of my head. You can also make this change at the individual account level as well.
As far as special characters like underscores and periods, you could definitely use them in user-names in version 7 and prior. If version 8 is not allowing them it sounds like it could be a bug. I'm not aware of any setting to control this.[/QUOTE]
hi soxfan,
thanks for a thunder reply. and also let me know the backup methods ur using to backup zimbra..
Regards

Manohar MSR
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by soxfan »

[QUOTE]thanks for a thunder reply. and also let me know the backup methods ur using to backup zimbra..[/QUOTE]

No problem, glad to help. As far as backups, personally my company uses IBM's enterprise backup solution called Tivoli Storage Manager Backup. However, there is a ton of information, including some scripts that others have posted, both in the forums and Wiki.
vadonka

Post by vadonka »

well maintained and documented HOT backup and HOT restore: HOT Backup and HOT Restore - Zimbra :: Wiki

full, incremental backup, gzipped, and open source :)
msrmanohar

Post by msrmanohar »

hi vadonka,soxfan,
thanks for ur inputs. i have one more question.. i have all my contacts of each every account exported to .vcf format from qmail. now i want to bulk import all the contacts to zimra.

can you pls let me know if there is any way out?
Thanks

Manohar