Attempting to Add 2 mailboxes on one Zimbra Web Client

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
mrKev

Post by mrKev »

Hi,
We are using ZCS release 7.2.0 on a CentOS 5.9 machine. I have a user who has two email accounts on the same email server. The user would like to login to his main account on the Zimbra Web Client and also see the mailbox for his second email account. I searched through the forums and found the following article: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/users/1239 ... boxes.html. The article did mention something called 5RC1 in it and I don't know what that is. Being that this article is from 2007, I think that 5RC1 may be the name for an old version of Zimbra. Also, the link with the 5RC1 name in it takes you to the Download page for "Zimbra Collaboration Server - Open Source Edition". I did a quick Google search of "5RC1" and found some articles on backtrack 5 RC1 but I don't think this is referring to the penetration testing software.

(a)

I created a dummy email account on our email server so I could test this first. I logged into the web client for my main user. I then went to "Preferences" -> "Accounts". I clicked on the "Add External Account" button. I put the email address for the dummy account into the "Email Address" field. The "Email Server" field gets automatically populated with the domain name from the email address. I put the password into the "Password" field. I chose the "IMAP" radio button. I also clicked on the "Use an encrypted connection (SSL) when accessing this server" checkbox. I then hit the "Test Settings" button.

I get the following error message: Error: Connection refused
(b)

I then clicked on the "POP3" radio button. I hit the "Test Settings" button.

I get the following error message: Error: Connection refused
(c)

I then changed the value in the "Email Server" field to the fully qualified domain name and change the radio button back to "IMAP" (as this is what we are using).

I get the following error message: Error: LOGIN failed
(d)

I then clicked on the "POP3" radio button. I hit the "Test Settings" button.

This time I got the following error message: Error: invalid username/password

I know that the username and password are correct because I just created them. I also successfully logged into the Web Client for my new dummy account
I also tried putting the IP Address into the "Email Server" field instead of the fully qualified domain name. When I chose the "POP3" radio button, I got the " Error: invalid username/password" error message. When I chose the "IMAP" radio button I got the "Error: LOGIN failed" error message.

Any ideas how I can properly setup 2 mailboxes from the same mailserver to show up on the Zimbra Web Client when you log into one account? Thanks.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="mrKev"]I have a user who has two email accounts on the same email server.[/QUOTE]Why does he need two mailboxes? Why not just add an alias to his primary account and he'll get all the email in the same Inbox or alternatively share the Inbox of the second account to his primary account?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by soxfan »

IMAP access has to be turned on both at the server and COS/user levels. From the "Error: LOGIN failed" message I'm guessing that maybe it is enabled at the server level, but not for this particular user.
mrKev

Post by mrKev »

Hi phoenix,
The user wants to accounts because they end in different domain names. One account is used for work and the other is used for something else. He does not want to add an alias because he wants to see the emails from the two different accounts in different mailboxes - but he doesn't want to have to login to 2 email clients.

mrKev

Post by mrKev »

Hi soxfan,
I am doing the testing on the Zimbra Web Client on my computer. How can I confirm I have "IMAP" access turned on at the COS/user levels? Also, would I need to set this for each user or is it only set once globally for all users? Thanks.
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

Does he need all folders or just a few ? And is it just to read - or to create new emails as well ?
If just a few folders - like the Inbox and one or two others, and just for read access then he can log into the lesser used account, right-click on the folders in question, and share them to his other account as a manager.
MohamedSafeek.mks

Post by MohamedSafeek.mks »

Hi Mrkev,
to check imap access on COS level.
1. Check telnet your server from Destination server with IMAP port (To enable IMAP in Zimbra Server USe Zimbra Admin Console---> Global Setting -- IMPA/POP Setting)

2. In Zimbra Admin Console COS--> Feature Check User IMAP is enabled
mrKev

Post by mrKev »

Hi liverpoolfcfan,
He does need to be able to create new emails from the second account so that it shows they are coming from the second account and not coming from the first account.

Just so this is clear, what he wants is to log into the web client using the username and password for account A. He would then see the mailbox for account A as well as the mailbox for account B. If he replied to email that was addressed to account A, the email would show that the reply is coming from account A. If he replied to an email that was addressed to account B, the email would show that the reply is coming from Account B.
Thanks.
mrKev

Post by mrKev »

Hi MohamedSafeek.mks,
Thanks for your reply.
1)

I checked Zimbra Admin Console---> Global Setting -- IMPA/POP Setting

and the following boxes were checked:

"Enable IMAP service"

"Enable SSL for IMAP service"

"Enable POP3 service"

"Enable SSL for POP3 service"
I was got the following response when I did telnet from my machine to the mail-server machine:

telnet 100.100.100.100 443

Trying 100.100.100.100...

Connected to 100.100.100.100.

Escape character is '^]'.
?????Connection closed by foreign host.
NOTE 1: I am first trying to get a second account setup on my Zimbra Web Client before I work on this from my user's Zimbra Web Client on his machine.

2) In Zimbra Admin Console COS--> Feature Check shows

"IMAP access"

"POP3 access"
NOTE: You said "In Zimbra Admin Console COS--> Feature Check User IMAP is enabled" but it does not look like you can see the feature check for just one "user". It is for everyone.
mrKev

Post by mrKev »

Hi All,
I don't know if this complicates it at all but I need this user to be able to see the inboxes from two accounts that are stored on the same mail server (and not different mail servers) when he logs into the one account on the Zimbra Web Client. How I am trying to do this is by logging into the Web Client and going to "Preferences" -> "Accounts". I then click on the "Add External Accounts" button. I am not sure if External means that this account is supposed to be on another mail server. Because the account is not on another mail server. It is stored on the same mail server as the primary account. I would think that wouldn't matter but just want to be sure.
Thanks again for the responses.