Canonical Address

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Bill Brock
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Canonical Address

Post by Bill Brock »

When setting up a user, there is a field on the first page labeled Canonical Address.
What is it and what is it used for?
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Canonical Address

Post by mmorse »

The canonical address displays in the 'From:" field of messages that are sent.
So say your user account is: last@domain.com
You could have a canonical to make it permanently look like mail is coming from: first.last@domain.com
To take the place of a fixed canonical address you can also user mail identities (in the option tab of each user) so the user can select when they want to appear as first.last@domain.com or first.m.last@domain.com or just last@domain.com

Mail Identities are for appearing to be signed in to another service-So from zimbra you could send mail as user@gmail.com without switching clients/browsers/etc.

However that would only take care of sending, you would need an alias to receive mail at first.m.last@domain.com or first.last@domain.com.

You can have some interesting setup's domain wide as well:

ManagingDomains">http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title= ... ingDomains - ZimbraWiki
GEN

Canonical Address

Post by GEN »

I have been trying to find an email which I think is a canonical address because I cant seem to find the real name of the person who has been sending me emails. How do I go about finding who it is?
Hivos
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Canonical Address

Post by Hivos »

This search from the admin console should give you the result:

(zimbraMailCanonicalAddress=mysteryAddress@yourdomain.com)
GEN

Canonical Address

Post by GEN »

I tried that and it said that no research results. Am I putting it wrong on the search maybe? I input it on the search as: zimbramailcanonicaladdress=(here I put the email address) and it came up no search results.

[quote user="Hivos"]This search from the admin console should give you the result:

(zimbraMailCanonicalAddress=mysteryAddress@yourdomain.com)[/QUOTE]
ArcaneMagus
Elite member
Elite member

Canonical Address

Post by ArcaneMagus »

Did you remember the () ?
GEN

Canonical Address

Post by GEN »

[quote user="ArcaneMagus"]Did you remember the () ?[/QUOTE]
yes and no results. :( But thank you. I just dont understand how this person is dong this without me knowing who it is.
ArcaneMagus
Elite member
Elite member

Canonical Address

Post by ArcaneMagus »

Try this:grep mysteryuser@domain.tld /var/log/mail.log if they have sent you mail recently, if not try looking in the archived mail.log files.
GEN

Canonical Address

Post by GEN »

[quote user="ArcaneMagus"]Try this:grep mysteryuser@domain.tld /var/log/mail.log if they have sent you mail recently, if not try looking in the archived mail.log files.[/QUOTE]
no it didnt work. I am starting to wonder if I am doing it wrong. Where it says mysteryuser@doman, This is where I put the email address that I received, right?
ArcaneMagus
Elite member
Elite member

Canonical Address

Post by ArcaneMagus »

Yes, you might want to post the headers of one of these messages.