Overnight notifications of services stopping/starting

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
czguy
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by czguy »

I'm running a new ZCS server 8.0.6 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit. Everything seems to be working fine but I am receiving emails for the last two days overnight notifying me of services going from a stop state to a running state. This happens overnight but also throughout the day apparently too.
Jan 10 09:23:04 mail zmconfigd[3587]: Service status change: mail.ourdomain.com stats changed from stopped to running

I don't have the server set to reboot or anything going on that I know of that would cause the services to stop/restart.
Is there some sort of clean-up process the server undergoes nightly that I should be aware of?
I have tons of free memory/resource and looking at performance graphs nothing spikes during these notifications of service restarts. The only thing I can think of is having ZeXtras installed and possibly it's restarting the services overnight to try and do a scan?
Any thoughts on this? I'm coming from a 7.2.0 server and never have seen this type of behavior.
czguy
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by czguy »

Update:
I haven't received any more of these notifications until today when I restarted Zimbra to test an issue with GAL.
Now even though zmcontrol status shows all the services as running and the Zimbra Admin GUI shows all services running I'm continuously receiving random service stop/running notifications. The messages are timestamped as 12:08pm yet I am receiving these to the admin mailbox at 1:01pm
Jan 18 12:08:14 mail zmconfigd[29067]: Service status change: mail.domain.com sasl changed from stopped to running

Jan 18 12:08:15 mail zmconfigd[29067]: Service status change: mail.domain.com snmp changed from stopped to running

Jan 18 12:08:15 mail zmconfigd[29067]: Service status change: mail.domain.com spell changed from stopped to running

Jan 18 12:08:16 mail zmconfigd[29067]: Service status change: mail.domain.com stats changed from stopped to running
Everything is still running smooth and there's no apparent service interruptions. These just started and are continuing after I manually stopped/started ZCS using zmcontrol.
Our server is not down and mail is being delivered fine, I'm just curious about these error messages. I also searched for watchdog in the /var/log/zimbra.log and here's what I saw:
Jan 18 12:07:12 mail zmconfigd[29067]: Executed: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmswatchctl status norewrite returned 1 (25 - 13) (0.03 sec)

Jan 18 12:08:13 mail zmconfigd[29067]: Watchdog: service antivirus now available for watchdog.

Jan 18 12:08:14 mail zmconfigd[29067]: Watchdog: service mta now available for watchdog.

Jan 18 12:08:14 mail zmconfigd[29067]: Watchdog: service opendkim now available for watchdog.

Jan 18 12:08:14 mail zmconfigd[29067]: Watchdog: service sasl now available forwatchdog.

Jan 18 12:08:15 mail zmconfigd[29067]: Watchdog: service snmp now available forwatchdog.

Jan 18 12:08:15 mail zmconfigd[29067]: Watchdog: service spell now available for watchdog.

Jan 18 12:08:16 mail zmconfigd[29067]: Watchdog: service stats now available for watchdog.
freestoretec

Post by freestoretec »

I have the same problem, and this start to happen after I restarted the server. Do you have encountered a solution, or maybe a cause for this problem ?
t.goetten

Post by t.goetten »

I am facing the same problem. Did someone find a cause for the stop/start thing? And most important, how to fix this?
Thanks

Thomas
demanl
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by demanl »

I'm seeing the same problem on 8.0.7 .
I hope that someone can enlighten us as to what is happening.
demanl
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by demanl »

Hello
Is there anybody out there..?
zmconfigd is still sending these mystery service stopped or service started emails when no changes have been made...:(
Sprengel

Post by Sprengel »

is there any solution for this problem?
i'm getting these reports about 4 per day. it stopped a service, one minute and one second later it restart this service.
zimbra 8.0.7 on centos 6
kaisoor

Post by kaisoor »

The same problem here:

zmconfigd[20447]: Service status change: mail.domain.com logger changed from running to stopped
running zimbra 8.0.7 on centos 6
any help?
Sprengel

Post by Sprengel »

[quote user="kaisoor"]The same problem here:

zmconfigd[20447]: Service status change: mail.domain.com logger changed from running to stopped
running zimbra 8.0.7 on centos 6
any help?[/QUOTE]

today i received 16 mails with service status change...
i don't know whats wrong
16144wedwards

Post by 16144wedwards »

I am on 8.0.7 and have received these for quite some time, at varying times of the day and night, and on previous versions. Inspection of log files doesnt indicate anything happening at the time, so I have no idea where these are coming from. The zimbra services are actually running at the time and dont restart, or my users would experience downtime which is not occuring.