VMware Staff Bugzilla Abuse or mismanagement

Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.
brickjenks101

Post by brickjenks101 »

The original bug number 62233 was filed on 07-20-2011 because I am not been able to search within documents created using the briefcase create document feature. I also posted a error message which I was receiving in case the error message was some how related. For the next 6 months the bug was repeatedly marked closed, fixed, or resolved and I attempted repeatedly to convince the Bugzilla staff that the bug actually existed. The bug was closed on 2012-02-10 because the error message was fixed. This was upsetting because I filed the bug because I can not use the search document feature. I did not file the bug because I was receiving an error message. The bug was not fixed, and some progress towards resolving the bug was lost. The new bug 69588 was opened 01-26-2012 and I continue to try and convince the bugzilla staff that this bug exist while they continue to mark the bug fixed, closed, resolved, or will not fix.
On 2012-03-12 Jon Dybik marked the bug as invalid claiming the bug was related to attachments, this bug was never related to attachments.
I am certain the briefcase search does not work, search should work, and this is not a feature limitation but this is a programming error.
I have contacted VMware about this issue and the representative tryed to be helpful but I have yet to see results.
This experience with the way Vmware runs their bugzilla has forever tarnished my opinion of the company and their products.

-Brian">https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=69588
-Brian
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ewilen »

Ordinarily I wouldn't wade into a discussion like this but I have to ask: does it say anywhere in the Zimbra documentation that FOSS allows search inside documents (of any type) which are stored in Briefcase? If not, then that doesn't mean that it's a bug, per se, if your kludge doesn't work in some circumstances.
What I'd suggest is to change your request into an RFE, clearly state that a simple code adjustment would accomplish what you want (i.e, searching in documents created within briefcase), and then post a link to the RFE in a new thread. I suspect you'll get quite a few votes as this would be a useful feature.
brickjenks101

Post by brickjenks101 »

[quote user="ewilen"]Ordinarily I wouldn't wade into a discussion like this but I have to ask: does it say anywhere in the Zimbra documentation that FOSS allows search inside documents (of any type) which are stored in Briefcase? If not, then that doesn't mean that it's a bug, per se, if your kludge doesn't work in some circumstances.
What I'd suggest is to change your request into an RFE, clearly state that a simple code adjustment would accomplish what you want (i.e, searching in documents created within briefcase), and then post a link to the RFE in a new thread. I suspect you'll get quite a few votes as this would be a useful feature.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
I understand what you are saying. Unfortunately this looks like incomplete FOSS code to me. The searching partially works. If somebody can point me in the right direction I would try to look at fixing the code myself.
I believe Zimbra FOSS uses Lucene Apache Lucene - Apache Lucene Core
UPDATE: We tested on a zimbra FOSS 5 server and the searching works, although it stopped working in FOSS 6 according to my test. This would technically be classified as a software regression.
ewilen
Elite member
Elite member

Post by ewilen »

I suppose, and you could mention that, but it one could also call it an undocumented side-effect in ZCS 5, which later disappeared. Six of one, half dozen of the other, you will probably have more success calling it an enhancement than a bug. Better still if you can fix it yourself and share the result with other FOSS users.