Per folder message count

Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.
gihrig

Per folder message count

Post by gihrig »

Having searched the user guide, admin guide, forum and wiki, I am still unable to find a way to get a count of all messages in each folder from the web client.
Did I miss something?
Regards,
-Glen
dkarp
Elite member
Elite member

Per folder message count

Post by dkarp »

The server maintains a count of the number of items (messages+contacts+documents+etc...) in each folder, but I don't believe this count is surfaced in the web UI at present. If you'd really like to see this, please file a request in bugzilla!
rvissers

Per folder message count

Post by rvissers »

I noticed in the webclient, int he upper right hand corner, you see a number (like 1-24) which just tells you which group of 25 messages you are viewing, but doesn't mention how any total messages there are. I'd like to see something like it saying "1-24 of 156"
bbarnett
Advanced member
Advanced member

Per folder message count

Post by bbarnett »

Yes, this would definitely be a big deal. As well, it would be extremely nice to be able to perform actions on all messages in a sub-directory.
Select all and move, or even when one right clicks, a menu item of "use filter on this directory". That way, someone could setup a filter and force it to run on a folder...
Zimbra is just about the best web client I've seen.. it rivals quite a few "normal" clients. It does have these two things missing however.
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Per folder message count

Post by jholder »

how about:
Picture 5.png
bbarnett
Advanced member
Advanced member

Per folder message count

Post by bbarnett »

[quote user="jholder"]how about:[/QUOTE]
That looks great. There's quite a bit of room on that bar, so I don't think the extra width will look bad or interfere with anything.
The only complaint that some users may level is that the arrow buttons may be "too far apart", but I don't think that's an issue from where I sit.
bbarnett
Advanced member
Advanced member

Per folder message count

Post by bbarnett »

I just wanted to add something. The reason why the "select all messages in a folder" and "run filter on selected messages" is important, is because of simple user error.
I can imagine a world where users accidentally remove tags on messages, or have a large message store and want to add new tags to some of those messages. With "select all" and "run filter on all selected" as an option, users could retroactively untag, retag, move messages at a whim.
In fact, the ultimate would be to also have a 'dynamic' filter that one can program on the fly. That is, imagine a "select all" and then a dynamic filter being written to move all old messages into a "2006" folder. You'd never use that filter again, so you wouldn't want to make and then delete it...
(note: with "select all" above, I'm basically referring to "select all messages in folder"....)
-------------
Hmm, I've just looked at Zimbra's "search" options. That's quite an excellent search system. If one could click a "do action to found messages", then what I mention above would be complete!
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Per folder message count

Post by mmorse »

[quote user="bbarnett"]Yes, this would definitely be a big deal.

[quote user="rvissers"]I noticed in the webclient, int he upper right hand corner, you see a number (like 1-24) which just tells you which group of 25 messages you are viewing, but doesn't mention how any total messages there are. I'd like to see something like it saying "1-24 of 156"[/quote]

[/quote]

I know the discussion has moved on-but you can now also mouse over the folders to see an item count & the total size of the folder

Bug 13431 - Show number and total size of items in folder
bbarnett
Advanced member
Advanced member

Per folder message count

Post by bbarnett »

[quote user="mmorse"]I know the discussion has moved on-but you can now also mouse over the folders to see an item count & the total size of the folder

Bug 13431 - Show number and total size of items in folder[/QUOTE]
Great to see v5 will have it!
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Per folder message count

Post by mmorse »

Also see/vote on: Bug 1112 - a user should be able to run filter rules over an existing set of mail items.