Sorting by Name & Then Filtering

Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.
jeremywatco

Post by jeremywatco »

Hi All,
Working out the "kinks" in our new Network Edition install.
Feedback from our initial users who were formally on Exchange OWA...
If I click "From" in webmail to sort emails by sender it sorts just fine. But then I want to jump to a specific sender in that list how do I jump right to their name in the list without scrolling around? In OWA you just type and it automatically searches the list. In Zimbra webmail typing just activates the hotkeys.
So example:
I click From and it sorts my entire inbox by sender. Then I want to jump to all messages from Jeremy. OWA I could hit "j" to jump to the J section or type out "Jeremy" and it would go straight to my name in the list.
Thanks!

Jeremy
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

How about using the Search function?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
jeremywatco

Post by jeremywatco »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]How about using the Search function?[/QUOTE]

Your preaching to the choir on that. However there is always that select few of execs that despise change and want everything to be like is was. Just wanted to explore the options before giving them a no answer.
918jjohnson
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 918jjohnson »

The short answer is that the Zimbra Web Client is a web-based mail client more akin to Gmail than to traditional desktop clients like Outlook. This means that it's VERY fast at performing searches (server-side work) but not so fast as performing result sorting (client-side work). For Outlook to 'jump to the name that's typed' means that it has to load all the messages into memory. On a desktop, that's not unreasonable, but in a web interface it's generally cost prohibitive wrt performance. That being the case, the UI has been tailored toward the path Zimbra performs best at.