out of memory when installing on fedora core 4

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
squeze

Post by squeze »

Hardware configuration:

- HP Proliant ML 150

- Intel Xeon 3.0 GHz/800 MHz-2MB L2

- RAM 512 MB

- HDD SCSI 36 GB
I got out of memory message when running /opt/zimbra/bin/zmmail???
Any idea???
sq
13445raj
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 13445raj »

hi..did you install went 100% without error on FC4 if not then follow
http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590
make sure you ./install.sh -u and kill all zimbra services before you implement above and then try fresh install..
hope this works for you..

i just did FC4 install using above link and it installed 100% without error..i have other problem iam trying to figure out ..which i think its me not zimbra :(
Raj S Vrach

i2k2systems.com
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="squeze"]Hardware configuration:

- HP Proliant ML 150

- Intel Xeon 3.0 GHz/800 MHz-2MB L2

- RAM 512 MB

- HDD SCSI 36 GB
I got out of memory message when running /opt/zimbra/bin/zmmail???
Any idea???
sq[/QUOTE]
For the record 512MB RAM is on the very low end of Zimbra's need. It should work but not going to perform well for any more than some simple tests.
squeze

Post by squeze »

[quote user="13445raj"]hi..did you install went 100% without error on FC4 if not then follow
http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590
make sure you ./install.sh -u and kill all zimbra services before you implement above and then try fresh install..
hope this works for you..

i just did FC4 install using above link and it installed 100% without error..i have other problem iam trying to figure out ..which i think its me not zimbra :(
Raj S Vrach

i2k2systems.com[/QUOTE]
Hi Raj,
I have followed that instruction, I have installed on my non branded computer, it installed 100% without error, but there is libphp5.so module not found when zmcontrol starts. Now I'm looking for that lib.
After that, I tried to install on my HP server. All rpm modules were done installed, and I just set the password for menu configuration, all field fill with standard values, after this step, the installation run automatically it seem hang and the out of memory message come out. The message told the swap space is 0 free. I have add size of swap space but still the error come out.

Have you found this problem Raj? Thanks for your info.
Rgds

sq
squeze

Post by squeze »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]For the record 512MB RAM is on the very low end of Zimbra's need. It should work but not going to perform well for any more than some simple tests.[/QUOTE]
Hi Kevin,
So what is your recomendation of the RAM size to have the best performance of zimbra.
Rgds

sq
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="squeze"]I have followed that instruction, I have installed on my non branded computer, it installed 100% without error, but there is libphp5.so module not found when zmcontrol starts. Now I'm looking for that lib.[/QUOTE]
Did you run yum update? Seems your system is out of date.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="squeze"]So what is your recomendation of the RAM size to have the best performance of zimbra.[/QUOTE]
Well you can never have too much. More you have the more we can cache. For a decent production system with many users you'll want at least 2GB. If it's only a few users then 1GB is fine.
squeze

Post by squeze »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]Did you run yum update? Seems your system is out of date.[/QUOTE]
I didn't run yum update due to internet connection. Is there any way to get the yum update without connect to internet? The yum update doesn't support resume download so if the connection is time out, it'll try another connection and starts from begin again.
Thanks kevin
rgds

sq
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="squeze"]I didn't run yum update due to internet connection. Is there any way to get the yum update without connect to internet? The yum update doesn't support resume download so if the connection is time out, it'll try another connection and starts from begin again.

[/QUOTE]
Well if you have a local yum repository then you can do it local. Otherwise you need an internet connection.
Counsel

Post by Counsel »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]Well you can never have too much. More you have the more we can cache. For a decent production system with many users you'll want at least 2GB. If it's only a few users then 1GB is fine.[/QUOTE]

I wish I had seen this requirement UPFRONT! :(
I can only have 256M on my laptop (trying to use it for testing...).
I get the out of memory error as well. does the ./install.sh -u make that much difference from ./install.sh ?