installed, but won't run FC3

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

What kind of filesystem is /opt/zimbra? (It's not NFS, is it?)
exothermic

Post by exothermic »

No it is a virtual file system, from virtuozo (vps)
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

The virtuozo file system doesn't seem to support file locking, which is a requirement for ldap, and for mysql.
exothermic

Post by exothermic »

I know that isn't the case since I run both ldap and mysql servers on various vps's. In fact there seem to be very many things at all that don't run on virtuozo, only very low level items.
What else could this be?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="exothermic"]I know that isn't the case since I run both ldap and mysql servers on various vps's. In fact there seem to be very many things at all that don't run on virtuozo, only very low level items.
What else could this be?[/QUOTE]

Might have been the type of LDAP backend or MySQL table types you used. In general not much else we can help with. We don't reccomend folks use virtual servers and never test those configurations in house. Maybe someone out in the community has other ideas.
exothermic

Post by exothermic »

I think it would be sad to write this off as having anything to do with virturozo. There is never a "type" of ldap or mysql that I use that is unique to my installations. I have run both openldap, and mysql, on vps with: FC 1,2,3 RHES3, Debian, Suse, etc. All with nothing more specific that yum install package (or something akin to the distro), and all from distro repositories, not virtuozo repositories.
I'm 99% sure this is exclusive from the VE. Am I going to have to reproduce this on an actual box to get anymore help?
Miles
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="exothermic"]Am I going to have to reproduce this on an actual box to get anymore help?[/QUOTE]
Pretty much. We've never seen this before on any FC or Red Hat install we or anyone in the community has run. So from our point of view it's the virtual machine. It would b a big help to remove that as a posibility for a problem.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

To be clear - it's not ldap, in itself, throwing the error - it's the Berkeley DB, sleepycat, that's complaining about the file locking.
exothermic

Post by exothermic »

Well I do stand corrected, it appears that the db4 is compiled for NPTL, which virtuozzo's kernel does not support. I don't think it is the file system, it is just the threading of the kernel.
Is it really necessary for zimbra to be this dependent on lowlevel requirments?
Anyway is it still possible that I am going to be able to compile this from scratch, or are these fundamental requirements?
Thanks
Miles
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

You can recompile bdb and give it a shot.