Moving from one Zimbra install to another

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
MeneM

Post by MeneM »

Dear all,
I've installed an old laptop with the OS version of Zimbra. I made it ready for use, and moved all the old IMAP users to it using imapsync. The family and friends are loving it!
The old server will now be reinstalled (using 6.06LTS Ubuntu server edition, just like the laptop.) and everything setup for use with ISPconfig.
Afterwards all this, the new server will have everything loaded except for postfix and imap/pop3. (You know why ;-)
Now I want to transfer the zimbra installation of the laptop, lets say: x.domain.com to the real server y.domain.com while keeping everything intact.
So not only am I moving the data/server, I also want to change the domain name.
What would be the best way of going about it? Would it be best to simply install the new server and use Imapsync again?
Are there any issues with running two mysql / apache2 -servers on one server?
Thanks for any suggestions.
MeneM

Post by MeneM »

Hi Again,
I've just learned that installing ISPconfig and Zimbra on the sameserver should not be attempted.
So I will probably go the Xen route. Two virtual Ubuntu servers on one physical machine.
Perhaps someone still has suggestions or better idea's?
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

xen-as long as you have plenty of ram
[quote]

Now I want to transfer the zimbra installation of the laptop, lets say: x.domain.com to the real server y.domain.com while keeping everything intact.

So not only am I moving the data/server, I also want to change the domain name.

What would be the best way of going about it? Would it be best to simply install the new server and use Imapsync again?

[/quote]Depends on how configured/full of users, etc you already have this install.

In essence you can't change hostnames without a headache; the command to do so needs some work.
IP & URL's you can change-it's the hostname of the machine that will tend to fudge things up.

So if you can live with giving this new server virtual instance the hostname for your laptop then:

-shutdown zimbra

-copy/rsync/tar the entire /opt/zimbra and any linked directories -keeping all permissions intact as best as possible (you can run a permissions script later if need be) to the new server (of course don't delete any data from your laptop yet)

-disconnect your laptop from the network

-make the 2nd server the EXACT same hostname of the laptop

-make sure the dns/mx records point at the new server machine's IP

-check hosts files etc (make them match except for IP)

-install.sh (essentially do the 'upgrade')

-once up and running add a new domain, and move the users to it. (simple as drop down boxes in the admin console-or CLI commands)

-make sure sending and receiving works properly-of course check mx records

-don't delete the old domain name untill your sure of proper operation-don't forget to move over admin accts etc (you can make the new domain the default if necessary)

-add any needed virtual hosts
once perfectly running:

-remove old zimbra install & give your laptop a new hostname...
MeneM

Post by MeneM »

[quote user="mmorse"]xen-as long as you have plenty of ram[/QUOTE]
Looking at the system requirements I see that 1Gb and 1.5 is enough for testing purposes. What would be suitable for ~10 users?
For the rest, thanks! I'll keep the hostname the same until the command works in a future version :p
And thank you again for the explanation!
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

Running 2 virtual instances will use a good chunk of ram, I didn't know how much your ISPconfig install would take up. You'll know where to look first for performance though.
What does the box have? (/what are you looking to put in it)
fajarpri
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by fajarpri »

So,

The most important thing after all things are rsync-ed, is to run the install.sh script and choose upgrade?
If I'm not mistaken, I once remember in other posting that in order to restore zimbra is to install the packages using install.sh and then just dump everything on top of it from the backup file of old /opt/zimbra.
Which one is prefereable?

Thanks
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

Your kinda talking about the method for changing Operating Systems's.

In his case he's going to have the exact same setup - essentially it's like he's doing a disaster recovery from an entire backup of his zimbra directories.
For Operating System Change:

[quote user="10330phoenix"]

Backup the /opt/zimbra directory on your current server (check the gid & uid of zimbra and make a note of it) then disconnect it from your LAN. Install the same release on the new Zimbra server as you had on the old server, make sure it's all working the shutdown zimbra and copy the backup-up files from your old server to the new one, make sure the uid & gid is changed to the ones you had on the old server - run zmfixperms and also make sure the LDAP password is set (check the wiki or forum for details). Do an upgrade install on the new server and you should be good to go. I'm assuming that your new server will have the same IP & FQDN as the old server. That should be about it.[/quote]

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/installati ... chine.html