ISP blocking port 25!!!

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
stormchas3r

ISP blocking port 25!!!

Post by stormchas3r »

After 2 somewhat successful years of using zimbra, my isp decided to block port 25 on my connection. Is there a way around this? If so, please point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Storm
1230zaf
Advanced member
Advanced member

ISP blocking port 25!!!

Post by 1230zaf »

One solution would be to rent a virtual server somewhere and run a Zimbra MTA server there. I don't have enough experience with the virtual host providers to recommend one over another, but I've seen that they are relatively inexpensive.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

ISP blocking port 25!!!

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="stormchas3r"]After 2 somewhat successful years of using zimbra, my isp decided to block port 25 on my connection. Is there a way around this? If so, please point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Storm[/QUOTE]Do you mean Inbound, Outbound or both? If it's Outbound then relay through their servers. If it's inbound then use a service such as the one from dyndns.org that will forward mail to an alternate port on your Zimbra server (details in the forums/wiki on how to change the port). Obviously if it's both then dyndns.org also have a relay facility for Outbound mail (I believe), there are other suppliers of such services.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
stormchas3r

ISP blocking port 25!!!

Post by stormchas3r »

Yes, inbound and outbound. I looked at dyndns and I guess if I want it working, I will need to drop $40 on it.
Thanks, for the advice.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

ISP blocking port 25!!!

Post by phoenix »

I don't think anyone provides that service for free but do search around, as I said, there's other providers that do it.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
dlevack

ISP blocking port 25!!!

Post by dlevack »

I just ran into this issue and found a solution that worked. I edited the /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/master.cf fileand uncommented the following line:
#submission inet n - n - - smtpd
then retart the smtp server
This tells the zimbra server to listen on port 587 (Authenticated smtp) and it worked fine here.
Dan
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

ISP blocking port 25!!!

Post by jholder »

Complain and find another ISP :)
k7sle

ISP blocking port 25!!!

Post by k7sle »

[quote user="jholder"]Complain and find another ISP :)[/QUOTE]
Oh, how I would LOVE to find a better ISP than Comcast!
omegainstitute
Advanced member
Advanced member

ISP blocking port 25!!!

Post by omegainstitute »

Yeah... I use Comcast at home as well, and I've been using No-Ip's Mail Reflector. I actually started using Mail Reflector when I was living in an area that was provided by Opt. Online. I just haven't dropped the service since because:

1) It works.. Quite well....

2) It provides me with a backup storage of email if/when my own server is down (like most recently when I lost an HD and had to recover from a backup).
It costs $40 a year though. That's the only downside to it.
Baylink
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

ISP blocking port 25!!!

Post by Baylink »

[quote user="dlevack"]I just ran into this issue and found a solution that worked. I edited the /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/master.cf fileand uncommented the following line:
#submission inet n - n - - smtpd
then retart the smtp server
This tells the zimbra server to listen on port 587 (Authenticated smtp) and it worked fine here.
Dan[/QUOTE]
Perfect. Exactly what I needed. I wonder where the right place is to put this on the wiki.